Roost bar and poop board depth question

That, my friend, is an excellent idea. In the beginning we just don’t know what is best for us or the birds. I wish I had thought along those lines. It would have saved me a bunch of unsightly screw holes in my coop walls. No worries really.
So happy you read clears as cleats. Ugh...comp in shop and this thing is just so hard to cope with.

I'm seriously excited about the new coop. :ya It will be the first walk-in. It will make my job so much easier.

I guess it really is an elite hobby. I know that I am always piddling or tinkering up at the coop/run. Do you think one day I’ll ever get it to where I want it? Yeah, I doubt it. My DH says all the time, “I thought you were through up there!” I’ll bet if I were to build another one right now there would be changes to it right afterward. Ho hum!

And yes, my coop floor has the same linoleum as the poop board. It has served me well, so far. ;)
Definitely going with linoleum!

So happy you read clears as cleats. Ugh...comp in shop and this thing is just so hard to cope with.

I'm seriously excited about the new coop. :ya It will be the first walk-in. It will make my job so much easier.
I find, when reading a lot of BYC posts, that I have to have an open mind to get the “gist” of what is being said. Yours was not hard to figure out at all. Some, well let’s just say, I don’t understand at all. :lau

If you use the guide of 1 ft of roost space per bird, I have 16 ft of roost space. As we can see 4 birds have squished themselves on one end in the lower right corner.
True Dat!
With poop boards they don't need that 'extra' room to spread wings to fly up.

Only other point to add - and this is just what I saw in reading, not personal experience- some larger roosters with more extravagant tails may like a bit more space than 12" from the wall.
This happens here....and my walls are HC so cock tails really got kinda 'torn' up. I actually put a piece of vinyl on the wall in a couple places to alleviate it. Current cock chooses those 2 places.

Oh yes! My photo in post #18 is in my new walk in coop, just finished a few weeks ago. It's so nice to not bend down to clean up poop and having the room to move around and interact with the gals. Congratulations on your new coop!:celebrate
BTW, in the picture, the dark spots in the poop board are not poop. Those are feathers. I'm amazed that with poop boards I only need to clean them in the morning as they don't hang out there, only at night to sleep. They don't seem to poop on the floor either (maybe 1 poop every 2 weeks or so) cuz they don't really hang out indoors so most poop is done in the run during the day. Sooo much easier to keep clean!:yesss:

Back
Top Bottom