Roost bar and poop board depth question

And how do you ‘scoop’ the poo? Perhaps a video? :lau I may need to make one of my own
I’ll have the sifter in my left hand and a cat pooper scooper in my right hand. With the sharper edge of the sifter I push to gather up the poop and I’ll take the scooper to pull the pile of poop on board. Shake over poop board and then dump poop into bucket on floor. Hope it makes sense.
Here’s the poop scooper. A small garden hoe would work well also.
EC6FEFB1-B6F1-4834-908F-9EF4A74D2EE2.jpeg

Ehh...maybe a bit of both. Some recommend 9" per bird. They do tend to crowd together to sleep, sometimes even when it's hot, but then they can also spread apart during molting time.
One of those 'hard numbers' don't always fit for live animals...always be open to flexibility. So yeah, you could remove part of your roost capacity if you observe they don't need it.
I had always thought it meant 12” of roost per bird, which mine have. But what I’ve found is that as the birds are getting settled to roost they need more than that. They are worse than siblings in the back seat of a car. “Don’t touch me!” “She touched me!” :smackAnd then throw in the ‘nekkid’ molters trying to hide from anyone and everything, you’ve got birds that each want 3’ of space. But once it is completely dark and the birds are settled, they scrunch together to sleep in less than 12” per bird.

As has always been said on this site...More (room) is always better!

I’ll have the sifter in my left hand and a cat pooper scooper in my right hand. With the sharper edge of the sifter I push to gather up the poop and I’ll take the scooper to pull the pile of poop on board. Shake over poop board and then dump poop into bucket on floor. Hope it makes sense.
Here’s the poop scooper. A small garden hoe would work well also.
View attachment 1962995
Perfect sense! I made a scooper out of a cheap dollar store dust pan which has worked great until I stepped on it one cold morning. Was going to make another but I’m going to give this a whirl instead being I have all materials on hand. Thanks!

Definitely going with linoleum!
FYI the thicker the linoleum the better! ! I didn’t have a source for linoleum so I ran to Menards and bought a roll for one of my coops (thinner roll for $40, it was the cheapest they had). I secured edges down with fender washers and screws and it still curled up. Birds ended up eating it. Just a mess! My other coop has thicker from Craigslist and no issues at all

FYI the thicker the linoleum the better! ! I didn’t have a source for linoleum so I ran to Menards and bought a roll for one of my coops (thinner roll for $40, it was the cheapest they had). I secured edges down with fender washers and screws and it still curled up. Birds ended up eating it. Just a mess! My other coop has thicker from Craigslist and no issues at all
Yes, Definitely!!
When I was shopping for vinyl(it's probably vinyl you're looking for, not linoleum) I bent back the corners, if it cracked I passed on it.
Got heavy duty foam backed vinyl and it's held up for 6 years now.
~3/32"
upload_2019-11-20_9-33-7.png

If I am already using sand on the coop floor, should I even bother with a poop board? I mean, I will be scraping the floor anyway, which is a tray that I can slide out of the side of the coop (it's only a 4x4 coop for 3 hens). I guess they could hit the wall, so is it just a matter of enough distance from the walls in that case?

I use sand in my coops and under any perch that only a few chickens use, I don't bother with a poop board. You are correct. It's not worth the trouble.

If I am already using sand on the coop floor, should I even bother with a poop board? I mean, I will be scraping the floor anyway, which is a tray that I can slide out of the side of the coop (it's only a 4x4 coop for 3 hens). I guess they could hit the wall, so is it just a matter of enough distance from the walls in that case?
Nope.

Back
Top Bottom