Rooster bled from frostbitten waddles, won't drink

cmlew99

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 5, 2014
Massachusetts
Hello everyone, this is my first year raising chickens and I'm having a really hard time at the moment. My BO rooster, Edith, has had frostbitten comb and waddles since December, so I've been applying bag balm every single night. This month I noticed his comb was bleeding more, so I put Blu-kote on his comb to prevent hens from pecking at it. Then, last night, I walked into the coop and blood was covering his neck and his waddles.

I brought him inside, but the bleeding wouldn't stop (I applied flour to stop the bleeding but it didn't work) so I just walked away and hoped the blood would clot on its own. It did, but now this morning he never crowed and he doesn't seem able to eat and drink. He will eat a pellet if I hold it in front of his beak, but when he tries to lean over bowls to get to it he jumps back and waves his head from side to side.

What should I do? He needs fluids but I don't know how to give it to him… Should I keep him inside for now? Should I soak pellets in water and give it to them? I have a few packets of Sav-a-Chick that I could use… Please help us!

ETA...
Also, his waddles have been swollen for the past few days.

Last edited:
Awe I'm sorry your roo is having a hard time with this weather. Mine is too, his waddles are long and when he drinks they get wet and are frostbitten. Can you keep Edith inside or at least provide some more warmth? I was thinking about putting neosporin on and wrapping my rooster's waddles with non stick gauze and then vet wrap. I know it is not waterproof but he would at least have some protection.

When Edith tries to eat his swollen waddles bump the bowl and I am sure it is hurting him, that's why he jumps away. I would keep trying to feed him. I'm in NJ and I don't think this weather is going to break anytime soon . . .

Back
Top Bottom