Rooster can't eat even though he tries

wkshaddon

Songster
Aug 15, 2019
Lane County Oregon
So a few days ago my lil rooster got something caught in his throat. He seemed to be breathing just fine and was even still crowing. Now he isn't crowing, he won't drink or eat, his tongue is white and pulled back into throat, and the tips of his crown are turning purple. He tries to eat but most of it falls back out of his mouth and now there's slime forming along the side of his beak. I don't want him to starve to death. Should I try to tube feed him. I tried the oil suggestion with no luck. I can tell his getting weaker and losing weight. The nearest vet for chickens is 150 miles away. Please if you have ANY suggestions, advice, or idea of how to help him please let me know asap!! He's an awesome frizzle bantam and a good boy. It breaks my heart seeing him like this.

Hi
@Eggcessive replied on your other thread, did you look in the throat with a light to see for any obstruction? It would probably be best to update on your other thread, eggcessive can guide you through this. But as she has no new notifications, she won’t no your still having problems. Good luck, I hope your little boy gets better 🙏

It's much easier to help if you stay on one thread, rather than multiples. As previously asked, did you look in the the throat for obstructions. Also possible that he got something wrapped around the tongue and swallowed it and it pulled the tongue into the throat. Something as small as a hair can do that, string is common also.
Other thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/i-think-my-roosters-choking.1509985/

X2 to look for a hair or string that has wrapped around his tongue. The hair or string can be swallowed pulling the tongue down the throat and causing obstruction. Look also for any white to yellow material or cankers in the throat. Pictures may also help.

Hi
@Eggcessive replied on your other thread, did you look in the throat with a light to see for any obstruction? It would probably be best to update on your other thread, eggcessive can guide you through this. But as she has no new notifications, she won’t no your still having problems. Good luck, I hope your little boy gets better 🙏
It's much easier to help if you stay on one thread, rather than multiples. As previously asked, did you look in the the throat for obstructions. Also possible that he got something wrapped around the tongue and swallowed it and it pulled the tongue into the throat. Something as small as a hair can do that, string is common also.
Other thread here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/i-think-my-roosters-choking.1509985/
Sorry. Still new to this. Thank you for your feedback. I stayed up all night crying and praying, as he laid on my chest. And to my amazement, the next morning he got up and drank water for the first time in 4 days! Then I watched him scarf down some food and chase after the ladies. He's shown steady improvement. Thank God.

Sorry. Still new to this. Thank you for your feedback. I stayed up all night crying and praying, as he laid on my chest. And to my amazement, the next morning he got up and drank water for the first time in 4 days! Then I watched him scarf down some food and chase after the ladies. He's shown steady improvement. Thank God.
Oh that’s great news! So sounds like the obstruction has obviously moved :thumbsup
Yes it’s hard navigating and knowing where you are when you are new :) so going forward, if you do a thread and someone replies, they will automatically be watching your thread, then they will get a notification that you or someone else has replied and be able to follow up and advise on it. That’s why it is also lovely for ppl to to give an update when the pet is better 😊 I felt like I was in a maze at first, but you soon find your way around! You will be a pro before you know it! Have fun exploring 😁

Back
Top Bottom