Rooster/cockerel starting to crow- who’s used a ‘collar’?

Pics

JaneBrook

Songster
5 Years
Oct 8, 2018
Isle of Sheppey
Hi everyone- need advice about my cockerel ‘Poach’
Has anyone used a no crow collar?
What’s your experiences with caponising?
Or do any of you have any advice about how to stop a rooster crowing {loudly} or at least quietening him down?
Can anyone share their experiences…

Hi everyone- need advice about my cockerel ‘Poach’
Has anyone used a no crow collar?
What’s your experiences with caponising?
Or do any of you have any advice about how to stop a rooster crowing {loudly} or at least quietening him down?
Can anyone share their experiences…

Honey do not waste your money. I've tried it & did numerous adjustments. If anything it lowers the decibels of the crow about 1/4. We even tried making our own. Several of them. He just ended up defying them. Then pretty soon it will just come off. I've also heard of some dying due to it being to snug. Just not worth losing your beloved pet even though it may be irritating to neighbors. I ended up having to part with mine because he ended up a rooster instead of a hen & we live in city limits. Hope this helps hon. Sorry I couldn't give you better news. Just check out the reviews & make your decision from there.

Honey do not waste your money. I've tried it & did numerous adjustments. If anything it lowers the decibels of the crow about 1/4. We even tried making our own. Several of them. He just ended up defying them. Then pretty soon it will just come off. I've also heard of some dying due to it being to snug. Just not worth losing your beloved pet even though it may be irritating to neighbors. I ended up having to part with mine because he ended up a rooster instead of a hen & we live in city limits. Hope this helps hon. Sorry I couldn't give you better news. Just check out the reviews & make your decision from there.
Aww thanks for your input/advice I did wonder about the collars but got confused as some reviews read ok although the concept of restriction without damage just didn’t seem feasible… I’ve already been warned from my neighbors that he’ll come strangle him I’m hoping in gest!
Going to call the vets now & see if they caponize x

:barnieOh gosh, after raising him from a chick & being a vegan adding him to pastry just isn’t an option for me but I hear what you’re saying & in many ways youre right!
It would be like trying to suppress thousands of years of gut instinct. He was born to crow darling so if you can't have him crowing then put him in the pastry. Just my opinion...

Ok just called 3 vets - 1st didn’t treat birds the 2nd explained it’s unethical as the testicles are surrounded by blood vessels & very high inside the cockerels body & the 3rd said there is an implant that lasts 2/3 months at a cost of £200....
I remember my grandfather piercing the air sack in the cockerels throat/neck to stop the crow but I was just a kid & although I didn’t see blood i couldn’t do it…

As heartbreaking as it is if he is making trouble by making noise it is best to either find a new home for him or put him in the freezer. :hugs

It stinks I know. I have had to let a few go over the years.
The freezer just isn’t an option for me - it just baffles me that in this day n age there isn’t anything that a vet can do to reduce the sound or stop the crow…

Crow collars are bad, in my opinion. Some use them successfully, others are met with a sad end. The roosters squirm and jump and flip to get out of it. The usual story is that they choke whilst eating and die.

Are you allowed males where you live? You could try keeping him in his coop until a reasonable time to dampen the loudness. Roosters crowing is as natural as us talking. It’s their duty to protect their flock and they’ve been doing it for thousands of years. I think that if people don’t want to let a rooster be a rooster, then they shouldn’t have one. I really don’t mean that in an offensive way but it’s like debarking a dog or declawing a cat, not humane in my opinion. Others will disagree but I’m sure they’ll share their opinion.

Back
Top Bottom