Rooster/cockerel starting to crow- who’s used a ‘collar’?

We aren't going to go tit for tat what's done in different countries.

I have not heard of anything legally done in the United States to stop a dog from barking. Cat declawing is allowed, but frowned upon usually. Not many veterinarian offices perform declawing.!

Cat declawing is a cruel, painful and yet very popular surgical procedure in the US. People care much more about their furniture than the comfort of their (not so beloved) pets. I have done thousands of declaws myself. I worked at a feline specialty clinic my last 6 1/2 years of practice. As a non-owner I had to perform the procedure. The really sad part is the huge percentage of owners that shop for the lowest quoted price and then don’t want to pay for any pain medication pot-op. The owner of the practice I was at would not allow me to council these clients because it might make them feel bad and go somewhere else. I ultimately retired and changed professions over this issue. I had to fake a lot of narcotic logs in order to give these poor cats some pain relief while they were under my care.
Things are changing, slowly. We are behind other first world nations in so many things.

Last edited:
That’s ok & I may well have too try that route but at the moment I’m hoping to find a solution that doesn’t cause him any cruelty or stress so he can continue with his happy life here with me…

Hi JaneBrook, my neighbor has a Naked Neck rooster & two hens & has a rooster collar in use. The area in which we live is an acreage estate (ie all one acreage blocks of land). He has had his roo for about eight months now & looks fine & healthy. The noise is about about half volume for what I would expect & the ‘shrill’ of the rooster crow is totally dampened. My neighbors trio are in a mobile pen.
My speckled Sussex cockerel has only just started crowing seriously today & so I put a collar on him, fairly loose @ present as he has some growing yet to do. He is in a mobile ‘chook mower’ pen near my house. I added a door to the part of the chook mower where he sleeps & I’ve started closing it well after dark & open it @ 6 am before I go to work. The sun is rising @ 04:45 here now.
My plan is to put my cockeral in with seven hens when he’s ready. To that end today I have renovated the hen house by putting entry between the ground & upper roosting/ nesting level internally instead of an external entrance. I made a door to accommodate another chicken size self timing door & set the timer to open @ 6 am & to close & 8pm. So the hens are ‘in training’ re this new routine so as to accommodate the rooster when he moves in. All feed & water will be on the ground level just in case the door fails to open.
I had previously spoken to all my neighbours re my plans to have a roo & my plans to manage the noise. They were all Ok. Two of my three neighbours have had bantam roosters & the other one has the Naked Neck.

I have used Velcro livestock leg bands as no crow collars on about 6 roosters at once. I wouldn’t go as far as to say they are cruel. I’m sure if roosters could talk and reason they would happily wear a tight scratchy collar over being killed and eaten.
In my case, I first put the collars on loose and slowly tightened them over a few days. I tweaked them constantly and monitored them daily at first. It did help the volume and frequency of crowing.
What I didn’t like was It messes up their hackle feathers and left the skin a little red in places. I had one rooster (1yr old) die suddenly with one on. Now, the question is, do you automatically blame the collar? Because chickens do die suddenly every now and then. After looking him over closely, he had a loose collar (looser then then rest), it was HOT out that day, I think he had a heart issue and died because of that. Not the collar.
Would I use them again? Possibly as a last resort. I have a few roosters now but I’m trying other things to manage their noise and keep my husband tolerant of my breeding project.
I think it is a very personal decision to use them or not. You have to be willing to accept the risk and take the time to monitor them closely.

I’d talk with your neighbor again and see if you can keep him locked up in a kennel in a shed or garage until a specific time. Tell him you would like to keep him and ask if they are willing to work with you to make you both happy. Worth a shot I guess.

This will start a uproar. But has anyone ever tried a dog collar for barking? One for small dogs. Just a idea don't even know if it would work.

Can you keep him in your cellar overnight until an agreed upon time with your neighbors? Maybe they aren't averse to him crowing during the day.

Yes I agree in that I think that most people object to being woken by roosters either over night or @ sunrise. So if the roo is housed overnight @ let out after sunrise that is showing consideration towards your neighbours

Last edited:
This will start a uproar. But has anyone ever tried a dog collar for barking? One for small dogs. Just a idea don't even know if it would work.
There was thread with someone trying it, but it caused such a fuss that the thread starter left the forum.

I tried a homemade collar once. It worked okay, but I didn't like the general idea. I ended up giving the rooster away. Even though I try to be very careful about buying pullets only, cockerels do slip in occasionally. They either get rehomed or eaten. I agree that people who can't accept the crow, the bark, the claw, etc., should choose a different animal to care for.

UK owner too, hi! You’ll still need to check you can keep chickens, if you haven’t already. If cockerels are quiet (like mine) they usually aren’t an issue, if you can keep chickens in the first place.

They will crow regardless of light. Sometimes my boy goes off in the night. He’s just not loud enough to cause disturbance though so I can keep him, so I’m sorry I can’t understand your position.
That is sooo true about crowing anytime of day..my rooster Spike..will crow if people he doesn’t know come around..or when we make adjustments to the coop or run, etc...he doesn’t like the noise..etc..so then he makes noise...we think when he crows he’s really saying..stick it in your earrrr! Lol

Back
Top Bottom