Rooster Comb Injury

HeatherlyHash

In the Brooder
Jan 3, 2019
It started with a little frostbite. We had a bad rain and wind storm on a 60 degree day, and that turned into a 15 degree night. My rooster, Jamie, suffered a bit of frostbite on the tips of his comb. Not a huge deal. Fast forward a week later and the center tip of his comb is bloody and just looks pretty gnarly. Photo was snapped last night. The black splotches towards the front are just dried blood from the center injury I believe - the rest of his comb looked okay earlier in the day. I came out today and the center piece has pus and looks even worse. From most of what I've read , people say not to intervene with frostbite or comb injuries and just let it run its course, so I have let it be, but it really looks bad, and I don't want Young Jamie to be in any unnecessary pain. Is there anything I should do or just let it go? Do I at least swab some hydrogen peroxide up there or something to help with infection? Other than random nights, our winter has been pretty mild here in eastern VA. It's 60 degrees out right now so his comb is definitely not frozen anymore. And when it comes to remedies, I'd like to stay as natural as possible, but I am open to all suggestions. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_20190202_180753.jpg
    IMG_20190202_180753.jpg
    626.6 KB · Views: 12
:frowHi there!
Thank God. I was preparing myself for something far worse.

Since your temps are warm, Just make sure no one picks on him.
A little vasaline couldn’t hurt but might hinder the healing.

:frowHi there!
Thank God. I was preparing myself for something far worse.

Since your temps are warm, Just make sure no one picks on him.
A little vasaline couldn’t hurt but might hinder the healing.
Being that you were expecting much worse, is this something relatively normal that I shouldn't stress too much over? I've only had cheepies since the summer, so I'm assuming there's a high chance I'm overreacting.

Back
Top Bottom