Rooster crowing - turned out well

I never heard of eating fertile eggs.. it's ok?? I never was into eating baby animals, why I don't eat veal or lamb.
If you collect the eggs daily, you will not even notice if they are fertile or not. Unlike humans or other baby mammals, chicken eggs do not start developing immediately upon fertilization. They need to be incubated by a hen or artificially for development to begin. That's how a hen can lay eggs, "stash them" for a couple of weeks and then start setting to hatch and they all hatch at the same time.

At 10Acre, my only sense of humor is sarcasm, should of added a disclaimer at the end. But yes, I do worry about predators. Living in the south, and all. An they are numerous, from as big as loose dogs, to coyotes. To as small as rodents. My bf wants to put the coop in the far end of the backyard, (we barely have a front yard, but a huge backyard). I want to have it closer to the house. We live in a manufactured home. How close do you think it should be? 

If you don't have outside dogs to protect your flock, the closer to the house the better. At night, they will be locked up, but if predators during the day are a concern in your area, especially aerial like hawks, you might have to go with a run that is entirely enclosed. Im pretty lucky, as i am able to free range my chickens.

Yup, only those who know what they are looking for can tell a fertile egg from an infertile one! They are all over the stores!
And, btw, I am also "Josh's girl"! That's my husband's name, too!

Lol! At 10 Acre. Small world, huh?? My bf of almost 4 yrs now's name is Josh. I was thinking of having it part of the house. (That close). An no, don't have LGDs. Unfortunately. Would like them, but Josh thinks it is over kill.. the coop plan I have in mind has a roof, so no bird of prey can get in. If fertile eggs can be eaten, then my only problem with a rooster is the crowing, since I have close neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom