Rooster has started attacking!

jenichick

Songster
12 Years
Jun 1, 2007
NC
I have two roos, a Buttercup and a SLW. The buttercup will sometimes run at my ankles and fluff up a little but has never came at me. Last week the SLW came at me from out of the blue at my back and spurred my back thigh area. Although it didn't hurt bad it caught me off guard, and now every time I go into the run he comes at me and so does the buttercup. The SLW jumps over 2 feet off the ground when he hits.
sad.png

I've read all the posts about how to handle this and honestly I have a builit in survival reflex too. I swatted at him the first time out of instinct and it made him come after me even more aggressively toward my face. I've been carrying a large stick now when I go in the coop. I instinctively want to kick him into the middle of next week. I don't like this.

I do NOT enjoy this aspect of chicken raising but I understand it. I tried to catch him to show him dominance and he lunged at my face and I swatted him down.
roll.png

I hate to say it but I've processed 12 roos for dinner so far, and the great Waldo is going to be next if he does this again! I've got a few packing peanuts on the way and surely not all roos do this!!

Last edited:
The only thing that I would suggest if you are set on keeping Waldo is pick him up carefully and hold him while you do your chicken duties. Maybe he will get that you are the head roo around there. If this does not work maybe it is chicken soup time.
sad.png

My friend's roo just started attacking too. I printed out the anti-roo attack BYC advice, but when she went to catch him to hold him while doing chores, etc., she just couldn't catch him. Thankfully he doesn't have big spurs yet...

I told DH he may come home and find the Great Waldo dead, he said, no problem as long as we eat him! Then he said, why do they only attack you, meaning the mini donkey who lunged at me and now the rooster. I said either they think I'm the alpha and trying to get my spot, or they think I'm an easy target. He laughed and said I don't think they think you're the alpha, they don't attack me! I said oh so you're the alpha, ha ha......I'll let you think that dear! hee hee
wink.png
roll.png

Last edited:
my roo acts like he is going to attack if i have on white tennis shoes. and then the little neighbor girl came by, he ran at her, she too had on white shoes. dunno what the deal is with that. is that by chance what your's is doing?
luckily mine has not attacked anyone, if so, he'll be dinner. but he's gorgeous, so i hope he straightens up!
smile.png

OHchick, that's funny you mentioned that because I wore water shoes most of the summer or sandles. Two weeks ago I started wearing black balet slippers with little bows on them. I've worn them almost everday that I've been out there. I will change my shoes today, and grab the pool net and keep nearby. I'll see what happens and let you know...

I can see it now....hope no one comes up while I'm running around the coop with a skirt and water shoes, holding a large pool net chasing a 10lb rooster around in circles with all the hens cackling in the back ground. Ha ha ha...

Back
Top Bottom