rooster has stopped crowing and keeps his head down

Hey, I just wanted to update you all on the situation!
He seems to be acting generally normal again. He's crowing like normal and roosting now.
He still keeps his head down at times and falls while moving his head, but I'm almost certain that it's because of his lice. He has a lot of nits on the feathers around his face and neck and I think that he's probably trying to rub them off or something because they probably itch.
I read an article on this site about Marek's disease and how lice can sometimes cause a chicken to look like they have the disease and I think that's it.
I'm going to try using coconut oil to loosen the nits and start changing his shavings everyday.

Did you give him any vitamins to help with the wry neck (torticolis?) I would use thiamine, vitamin e, and selenium. Those are all in Poultry Cell or NutriDrench given 2-3 ml daily. Even though he is better, I would use them for awhile.
Wood ash can help in prevention of lice, especially if included in a dust bathing area with sand and dirt, but it can be toxic if overused. Permethrin garden dust and 10% spray is readily available in feed stores, and will kiil the lice on contact. Repeat within 10 days to get the newly hatched lice from nits. It is very safe. Sevin dust also works, and I use it without a problem, but permethrin is safer.

I would go with the mites is the problem .
i would never use Seven on a animal ..I will not allow it on my property .

do you have a Cat ?
I have used diluted cat shampoo for lice / mites . it works great .
Nothing alive the next day and not after a week either
I have sprayed it under their neck feathers on their vent under and above their tail .

There is a chance it could be Marek's. :hugs
marek_4.jpg
marek_5.jpg

I've heard they pulled Sevin from sale.
It's no longer "labeled" for use in poultry here in the US, so technically it's not supposed to be used. Canada still uses it, so I figure it's still safe to use, though I prefer to use ivermectin or permethrin for lice. :D

It's no longer "labeled" for use in poultry here in the US, so technically it's not supposed to be used. Canada still uses it, so I figure it's still safe to use, though I prefer to use ivermectin or permethrin for lice. :D

I thought they pulled it. My mistake!

Back
Top Bottom