Rooster - Help!

missmaqs

Chirping
May 16, 2020
Phoenix
Hello! Kylo Hen and I are completely attached to my rooster (Silkie), so giving him up is not really an option for us. He's very snuggly, social and he thinks he's a puppy. He's always quiet except for during the sunrise. Otherwise, I don't hear him, ever. He even stopped crowing for two months. However, I live in a city. I am exploring a few options and would love input.
1. I ordered No Crow Collars. I have read about some dangers of these (plus my rooster is only a couple pounds, he is very tiny), and I was wondering if there should be concerns in terms of his safety. Also, what should I do if I go on vacation and something happens to the cluck collar?
2. We are looking into using Suprelorin to keep his volume down. I know the success rate on this method isn't perfect.
3. For now, we have a part-time indoor rooster. If I leave for vacation, is this a viable option? It sounds silly to have a rooster locked in a room for a few days?
4. Should I just register him as an emotional support animal and then tell my neighbors to suck it up? Mind you, I don't think they've noticed his existence yet.

I would love advice on this, or other tips/tricks to have him be a little quieter when the sun comes up and I'd love to hear what you do with a noisy roo when you go on vacation.

My roosters crow when they hear us. When we lived in our small house with the run close to the house, Remi would crow at 5:30 in the morning. Our neighbors were nice enough not to mind but still. I would ask your neighbors if they minded him. Maybe move him further away from the house or the neighbors houses so he can’t hear him and won’t wake up to screech. That’s worked for us. But now we have multiple roosters and sometimes they just have screaming battles.

Back
Top Bottom