rooster in the nesting box?

misterhandsome

In the Brooder
8 Years
Jul 3, 2011
Kemptville, Ontario
We lost three birds to a predator a bit ago, and when we picked up their replacements we decided to get a rooster, just in case he might help protect the flock. The introduction went really, really well...no problems at all. Big Nasty (the rooster...when it comes to protection, i hope, as he is very caring and gentle with his six hens) immediately deflowered the two mature hens. Now the three are inseparable, although Big Nasty watches over all the girls.

Today one of the girls found the nesting box, which has four stalls. Big Nasty couldn't stand the separation and got in the stall right on top of her. Needless to say she wouldn't lay. I drove all but the hen who was laying out of the coop, but can't do this all the time.

Is Big Nasty's behaviour normal? How do I stop it?

He is being the perfect Roo!

A good/great roo will check out the nest site for his ladies, even fix it if he thinks it needs fluffing. He will talk to them and let them know it is safe. Often a roo will sing the egg song with his ladies.

thumbsup.gif
Great job getting a wonderful roo.

Thanks for the feedback! Big Nasty has stopped sitting on the girls and now sits by them when they lay. I'm so very impressed with him. It amazes me how he cares for his girls. When I put out bit of fruit he tosses it to the girls before taking any, and he looks out for all of them, even those not laying yet. VERY protective, and they are hopelessly devoted too. So glad I got a roo!

My young rooster does this too, tenderly guarding the nest box while a pullet lays. He imitates their noises. He has gotten in the nest with them and also by himself for extended times, arranging the hay and making hen-laying noises. I was hoping to get an extra egg from him, but no such luck!

Back
Top Bottom