Rooster lost his hen! How to help him

OllieBollie

Chirping
Sep 12, 2020
St. Paul, Minnesota
2 days ago we lost our fifth of 6 Cornish cross chickens. We woke up to her gone when we went in to let them out for the day. She was our last hen, and now we only have her bestie, a roo, left. Since she passed he has been running around the run and yard looking for her and calling to her. It’s absolutely heartbreaking. Anyone that thinks only humans have emotions clearly hasn’t spent much time around animals.
We have 3 nine week old silkie chicks that we’ve had in the big run a few times to acclimate, always with us within eyesight and only for a couple of hours. Our roo didn’t really care too much about the little ones. It was our hen that had a fit, stared them down and pecked the butt of one.
Now that Norman, our roo, is alone is it wise to bring the little chicks into the big run for a bit of company, or is it too soon? Or should we separate the run and let them get to know each other for longer before bringing them all together?

I know it’s going to take time for him to realize she’s not coming back. And he needs time to grieve. I want to provide him as much support as I can.

Thoughts and opinions welcome!
Thank you!

That is a really sad story 😪. If they have been together before they should be fine, as long as you keep an eye on the for a couple of days. Though keeping them apart for a while longer wouldn’t do any harm...

We woke up to her gone when we went in to let them out for the day.
Did she disappear or did you find her dead in the coop?
How old was she, in weeks or months?

Or should we separate the run and let them get to know each other for longer before bringing them all together?
Yes.

Here's some tips about.....
Integration Basics:
It's all about territory and resources(space/food/water).
Existing birds will almost always attack new ones to defend their resources.
Understanding chicken behaviors is essential to integrating new birds into your flock.

Confine new birds within sight but physically segregated from older/existing birds for several weeks, so they can see and get used to each other but not physically interact.

In adjacent runs, spread scratch grains along the dividing mesh, best if mesh is just big enough for birds to stick their head thru, so they get used to eating together.

The more space, the better.
Birds will peck to establish dominance, the pecked bird needs space to get away. As long as there's no copious blood drawn and/or new bird is not trapped/pinned down and beaten unmercilessly, let them work it out. Every time you interfere or remove new birds, they'll have to start the pecking order thing all over again.

Multiple feed/water stations. Dominance issues are most often carried out over sustenance, more stations lessens the frequency of that issue.

Places for the new birds to hide 'out of line of sight'(but not a dead end trap) and/or up and away from any bully birds. Roosts, pallets or boards leaned up against walls or up on concrete blocks, old chairs tables, branches, logs, stumps out in the run can really help. Lots of diversion and places to 'hide' instead of bare wide open run.
Good ideas for hiding places:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/a-cluttered-run.1323792/

When we went out to get them up for the day our hen was dead. She was 11 months old. She had flies all around her butt for the past 3 days. We bathed her all 3 of those days but it seemed to do nothing. She had previously been scratched by our rooster on the back which then left a bald patch. When that happened I cleaned her up and slathered neosporin on her cut. I suspect she got an infection despite my efforts and the flies did her in. I’m not sure. The rooster isn’t being bothered by bugs at all.
We are going to power wash the whole coop before we integrate the little ones just to be safe.
Thank you for the advice. We will continue with integration slowly. We have multiple waterers and feeders for multiple stations.
the run has several “hiding places” as well, hollowed out half logs flipped over, a large under coop shelter and a small wood hideaway tucked under a tree. The last couple of days our Roo has been free ranging in the yard during the day, to allow him to see the little silkies and wander where he wants.

When we went out to get them up for the day our hen was dead. She was 11 months old. She had flies all around her butt for the past 3 days. We bathed her all 3 of those days but it seemed to do nothing. She had previously been scratched by our rooster on the back which then left a bald patch. When that happened I cleaned her up and slathered neosporin on her cut. I suspect she got an infection despite my efforts and the flies did her in. I’m not sure. The rooster isn’t being bothered by bugs at all.
We are going to power wash the whole coop before we integrate the little ones just to be safe.
Chances are she had another wound deep under her feathers, they can be hard to find.

I would not power wash the coop, best to keep thing as dry as possible.

Update:
Norman’s found his mojo!

We were continuing the slow introduction between the silkies and Norman, our roo. Because Norman has been so good with them while free ranging in the yard, we put them all together in the big run. Things went swimmingly. Norman isn’t running after us for attention and isn’t showing signs of loneliness. This is the third full day of the 4 of them being together. In fact, Norman is quite a good protector. We had our little Italian greyhound outside and Norman started his alarm call and ran to the chicks. It was adorable. We still check on them every hour or so just to be sure, but things are going better than anticipated.

When the chicks are ready to be in the coop at night we will partition it in half, we’ve had to go that before and still have the gate. Do roosters get finicky over their coop or should that go as smoothly?

Update:
Norman’s found his mojo!

We were continuing the slow introduction between the silkies and Norman, our roo. Because Norman has been so good with them while free ranging in the yard, we put them all together in the big run. Things went swimmingly. Norman isn’t running after us for attention and isn’t showing signs of loneliness. This is the third full day of the 4 of them being together. In fact, Norman is quite a good protector. We had our little Italian greyhound outside and Norman started his alarm call and ran to the chicks. It was adorable. We still check on them every hour or so just to be sure, but things are going better than anticipated.

When the chicks are ready to be in the coop at night we will partition it in half, we’ve had to go that before and still have the gate. Do roosters get finicky over their coop or should that go as smoothly?
If he is getting along with them ranging and now in the run, once they can be outside over night he will likely herd them into the coop at dusk.
When they were in the run did they get to go into the coop?
Might try putting them in there to get the lay of the land.

Wants so see a pic of your dog, love Italian Greyhounds!

If he is getting along with them ranging and now in the run, once they can be outside over night he will likely herd them into the coop at dusk.
When they were in the run did they get to go into the coop?
Might try putting them in there to get the lay of the land.

Wants so see a pic of your dog, love Italian Greyhounds!
C2D94A86-6FAA-4D94-8B2A-6088632A4CB0.jpeg

Norm and the chicks.
I didn’t even think of him herding them. That makes sense. They haven’t gone all the way into the coop yet but they’ve gone part of the way up the ramp.

Our 11 year old iggy, Gavin in his pj’s. Lack of hair makes him chilly. 😝
3C9E7274-5EC7-401E-9D13-E857351C2F3D.jpeg
FFE09104-873C-4E8A-8B14-CEE2853EE7E2.jpeg

Norm and the chicks.
I didn’t even think of him herding them. That makes sense. They haven’t gone all the way into the coop yet but they’ve gone part of the way up the ramp.

Our 11 year old iggy, Gavin in his pj’s. Lack of hair makes him chilly. 😝
Norm and the chicks and Gavin are all so cute! I've wanted an iggy for years but I worry about them getting cold since they're so thin. Currently have a whippet mix and we have an assortment of winter coats for her, but no pjs because she'll eat them off her own body. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom