Rooster or Hen?

tnelly13

In the Brooder
Jun 15, 2015
These two are both 3 months old, I thought they were both Roosters but the more I watch the one in the 2nd pic I think it kind of looks like a hen. The Comb and wattle are smaller and the definite rooster is bigger in size. Both are much bigger than my other chicks of the same age, I didn't know what I was getting. I am guessing the are Cornish Rocks? Thanks!

They don't look like Cornish Rock meat birds, which would be huge and have bald patches at 3 months.....
........and I can't see the feathering well enough to determine if there's any saddle and hackle feathers.

hmm, I really have no idea what they are. I got them as strait runs at Tractor Supply which I will not be doing again. I like knowing what breeds I am getting etc. I will have to try and get pictures of them later next to one of my Golden Sexlinks of the same age. Someone told me they were broilers and believed corning rock. I wouldn't say they are gigantic but they are definitely bigger than my sexlinks and tower over my polish. What would cause bald patches at 3mos? From fighting? Thanks for the info, I am still learning! ;)

No Cornish Cross meat chickens grow so fast that their feathers don't quite cover their skins in places, especially if their feed in not controlled.
They are usually butchered for meat at about 8-10 weeks.

They don't look like Cornishx birds to me either. Call the store and find out what hatchery they came from; then contact the hatchery, or look in their catalog, and sort out breeds. You should be able to figure out what you have that way. Mary

Okay well I called them and the lady at Tractor Supply said they may be Leghorns. They do not order any specific breed its just hatchers choice. I did contact the hatchery (privett hatchery) and she said they are most likely cornish rock. So now still don't know. I did not want meat chickens :(

Okay well I called them and the lady at Tractor Supply said they may be Leghorns. They do not order any specific breed its just hatchers choice. I did contact the hatchery (privett hatchery) and she said they are most likely cornish rock. So now still don't know. I did not want meat chickens :(
They are far, far too tiny to be meat birds. At 12 weeks of age they would be in the 10 lb range. They look like white Plymouth Rocks to me.

Here is a pic next to one of my little layers the same age.

this is the one that i think could be the white pullet.

Back
Top Bottom