Rooster or Just a Mean Girl?

Anyone familiar with chickens should be able to see it was a him via video.
Maybe it was a small screen? Poor eyesight? Etc. Hard telling.
Sexing them young can be hit and miss.
Good point. I just find it hard to believe that someone who gives away/sells chickens in general can't tell that's a cockerel.... even after he was mating. But yeah, it could have been a number of different things.

I’ll try to recall what they said. They said every living thing has a natural ph force or something. So he held the large steel nail attached to a string above the chick’s head if it goes in a circle, it’s a male. If it swings back and forth, it’s female. Or vice versa. But that’s the gist of it.
That would be just wishful thinking with an accuracy by chance of 50%, just the same as if you would not do anything "magical" to determine the sex.

The nail hanging by a string will be moving one way or the other driven by the movement of the person holding it.

I’ll try to recall what they said. They said every living thing has a natural ph force or something. So he held the large steel nail attached to a string above the chick’s head if it goes in a circle, it’s a male. If it swings back and forth, it’s female. Or vice versa. But that’s the gist of it.
Sounds like an old wives tale. Like that thing where if you hang a chick from the neck and it's legs are straight it's a boy and if it pulls it's legs up it's a girl.

I think that is the hard part... no chocolate eggs.
Thoughts:
#1 buy chocolate eggs from the grocery store around easter time, then you can actually eat the entire eggs plus it is actually chocolate!!
#2 paint some eggs a chocolate color
#3 possibly think of hatching eggs in the future to see what a mixed breed would lay... be prepared to sell the chickens/roos
#4 maybe try to get more black copper marans next year if you don't have a limit on how many chickens you can have
I think you will be happy to know that my little black rooster and I are getting along much better. I had to start looking at him as a rooster and how he can impact my flock rather than the destroyer of my chocolate eggs dreams. He’s calming down more and hasn’t pecked me recently. He’s still a little aggressive to the new chicks, but overall I think everyone is settling in with each other. Things are much better for us all and I think I will keep him. Thanks for the encouragement. Happy Thanksgiving

I'm getting closer and closer to accepting that my Black Copper Marans hen is a roo and there will be no chocolate eggs coming anytime soon...
I think that is the hard part... no chocolate eggs.
Thoughts:
#1 buy chocolate eggs from the grocery store around easter time, then you can actually eat the entire eggs plus it is actually chocolate!!
#2 paint some eggs a chocolate color
#3 possibly think of hatching eggs in the future to see what a mixed breed would lay... be prepared to sell the chickens/roos
#4 maybe try to get more black copper marans next year if you don't have a limit on how many chickens you can have

Back
Top Bottom