Rooster or no rooster…

LadyLavender

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2023
Saw a couple videos today of roosters protecting the hens against predators such as hawks, falcons, fox… thinking about adding a rooster to join our two hens, but don’t want to breed them. Any advice? I live in town, but near creek and we get lots of wildlife in the backyard 😉

thanks!!

Those stories are greatly exaggerated, Roosters protect their flocks by sacrificing themselves. They are rarely successful.
You don't have enough hens for a rooster., you need 6 more or more.
Your hens are capable of looking after themselves but no bird can stand up against a predator.

Those stories are greatly exaggerated, Roosters protect their flocks by sacrificing themselves. They are rarely successful.
Your hens are capable of looking after themselves but no bird can stand up against a predator.
My rooster is constantly on the lookout for predators. When everyone else eats he walks around and watches the sky and ground for anything suspicious. I think the stories of roosters fighting predators are often exaggerated but they definitely do help prevent predation at the very least

This is why I tolerate mine being a jerk....I figure at some point he's going to sacrifice himself for the flock.

My rooster is constantly on the lookout for predators. When everyone else eats he walks around and watches the sky and ground for anything suspicious. I think the stories of roosters fighting predators are often exaggerated but they definitely do help prevent predation at the very least
Same thing mine does....he's on constant vigil.

We have roosters, and enjoy them in the flock. Good roosters (and they grow into their role!) watch out for danger, court hens, and aren't interested in attacking the Giants who bring food. We don't tolerate 'attack birds', they belong in someone's freezer. There are so many good cockerels who need homes, don't keep a jerk.
Right now we have three nice cockerels who need homes, for example.
Mary

Last edited:
yes, a roosters main benefit is calling out a threat .. they do act as a decent alarm not only to the flock but to you, so you can act if prepared .. but protecting against a predator, not really, nothing will stop a seasoned predator but you .. my advice is eliminate predators on sight, no exceptions .. and yes keep a rooster if you can stand their attitude, they do vary in that quite a bit, in my experience a smaller rooster is much easier to put up with and usually alot less aggresive, not forgetting that their vocal alarm is the main benefit of 'protection' ..

Back
Top Bottom