Rooster? Raising Chicks?

I once had a kikiriki hen (very tiny, smaller than bantams), and she was forever broody. When her chicks reached about 3 weeks old she would habitually ween the chicks (a little on the early side), and her mate, Yahoo (was his name because of the sound he made when he crowed), would always take the 3-week olds under his wings at night for another week to ten-days. Precious.

Sure looks female. The wattles are visible on spice because that one isn’t bearded, but a rooster at this age should have very prominent comb and wattles, brighter coloring to them, and have some “hard” feathers showing. the crest on Spice is also very feminine. I would be quite surprised to find this bird is actually male... and not crowing? 🤔 you can post videos if you upload them to somewhere like YouTube, and then link to it here. :)

That’s not to say that roosters won’t have anything to do with chicks. A lot of us have had or still have roosters that take part in raising the chicks. I have a cockerel who has been heavily involved in the care of any chicks I integrate into the coop which makes things a lot easier, let me tell you! Haha.

It’s the coolest thing! It was actually really funny & I thought @ 1st he was just copying her. I kept moving him & he would just throw a little fit & continue going back 2 the nesting box.
I figured he just wanted 2 stay close with her but he really decided 2 sit on those eggs 24/7 for 19 days straight. So I just let him be. Watching them both sitting on those eggs as they were hatching was really cool. She would rise up & he would rise up. Like she was teaching him. Communicating the entire time. So cute. :)
If I can figure out how 2 add a video I’ll do so.
Thanks for your response!
They both look like hens to me.
They both look like hens to me.
Is it possible for a hen 2 nvr lay eggs? They look really different 2 me. The crowns are different. 1 has waddles 1 does not. He makes all sorts of noises in the mornings. While she is silent. :)

Back
Top Bottom