Rooster? Raising Chicks?

Pics
I’m 100% sure I’ve only gotten eggs from 1. I let them free range in the yard & she was always the only 1 in the roosting box until she went broody then he was in there right beside her.
They both flap & screech but he’s aggressive & does it more frequently. He’s also attacked the fence when my dog & cat walk by. Protective of her but now especially since the chicks r here. He started attacking the scoop that I use in the pen whenever I’m nearby. lol :)
Females can be aggressive too.

Have you checked anywhere else for a hidden nest?

Was the bird in question aggressive only when broody, or all the time?

Looks female to me and sounds like female behaviours. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Unless you’re able to post a vid of the behaviours you’re seeing that shows definite crowing, I’m going to stick with 2 broody hens.
Below is my 10 month old silkie pullet. 100% female, I watched her lay an egg in front of me. Lol. She makes all kinds of racket and is the top of the pecking order. The cockerel won’t go near her, she flogs him. She started laying in august and went broody after laying a few eggs (infertile since she won’t accept the cockerel’s attentions), then raised chicks I had hatched, then started molting in the late fall/early winter. Hasn’t started laying again yet, she’s going through a slow molt. But you can see she’s got a pretty big comb, an irregular crest, and decent wattles. (Compared to the better quality cuckoo silkie behind her!) my cuckoo is bearded, you can see there are no visible wattles. Just like your Sugar. :)
EA8D10EB-2CA6-48C8-BB8B-8E476270F506.jpeg

Looks female to me and sounds like female behaviours. 🤷🏼‍♀️ Unless you’re able to post a vid of the behaviours you’re seeing that shows definite crowing, I’m going to stick with 2 broody hens.
Below is my 10 month old silkie pullet. 100% female, I watched her lay an egg in front of me. Lol. She makes all kinds of racket and is the top of the pecking order. The cockerel won’t go near her, she flogs him. She started laying in august and went broody after laying a few eggs (infertile since she won’t accept the cockerel’s attentions), then raised chicks I had hatched, then started molting in the late fall/early winter. Hasn’t started laying again yet, she’s going through a slow molt. But you can see she’s got a pretty big comb, an irregular crest, and decent wattles. (Compared to the better quality cuckoo silkie behind her!) my cuckoo is bearded, you can see there are no visible wattles. Just like your Sugar. :)
View attachment 2549605
Wow she’s really beautiful :) thanks for sharing.
I appreciate your feedback. Guess I’ve got some homework 2 do! :)

Your "rooster" is 100% a hen.

She has small wattles, a small comb, a rounded crest, no streamer feathers or hard tail feathers, and a downward posture.

A rooster would have larger wattles, a large comb, a crest the flows backwards behind the comb, streamer feathers in the crest and hard, shiny tail feathers, and a more upward posture.

Silkie hens can take a while before they start laying. Hens can attack other hens and dominance mount them. They can also be really loud (I have quite a few noisy hens). Silkie hens will tag-team broody, so it is normal that your hens are brooding the chicks together.

Wow she’s really beautiful :) thanks for sharing.
I appreciate your feedback. Guess I’ve got some homework 2 do! :)
Silkies are really hard to sex! I DNA tested the cuckoo so I wasn’t feeding a rooster I didn’t want for months because of it.
Honestly I wasn’t 100% sure on this paint one until I watched her push that egg out. Haha. I use her as my example on silkie sexing threads though, because she’s kind of an oddball (not great quality, that’s all) and helpful to see the range of features they can have. :)
Both of yours are beautiful, and I do believe they’re both female. But if you can get video of the screeching and behaviour, that’ll help us confirm it for you. 👍

Back
Top Bottom