Rooster turned aggressive

Hi, I need some advice please. I introduced a rooster to my flock around a month ago as i heard of the benefits of getting one. He’s been very calm the whole month up until around a week ago. He’s suddenly turned aggressive and we can’t figure out why. Sometimes he will be fine with humans but sometimes he will just randomly attack us (completely unprovoked). I’d hate to get rid of him, this would be a complete last resort, is there anything I can do to stop him attacking us? ThanksView attachment 2837115
This could be a number of things, firstly, make sure ypu arent running if he does this, pick him up in a scoop, maybe hold him under your arm til he calms, how many hens do you have? Is it noisy there?

I sit or stand with mine frequently, and just hanging out together for a while is always nice. I don't pick them up (except when they'd been attacked by a fox and I carried (cradled) them back to the house) because I want the flock to live as naturally as possible. I do hand feed them. I'm delighted to hear that your boy is no longer threatening, or worse, attacking you. He's young, and once he's through the jerk phase he may turn out to be a real good roo.

Hi, I need some advice please. I introduced a rooster to my flock around a month ago as i heard of the benefits of getting one. He’s been very calm the whole month up until around a week ago. He’s suddenly turned aggressive and we can’t figure out why. Sometimes he will be fine with humans but sometimes he will just randomly attack us (completely unprovoked). I’d hate to get rid of him, this would be a complete last resort, is there anything I can do to stop him attacking us? ThanksView attachment 2837115
I just got attacked by our black Orpington today. He’s only 5 months old. I just grabbed him and held him down face first in the ground and stroked the back of his neck and head for a minute or so in front of our mixed flock. All of which stood there and watched it. If I have to I’ll repeat this a few times. Then I’ll walk around with him by his feet if the kinder domination doesn’t work. My wife is Thai and grew up on a farm. She will just smack him. I’ve seen her do that with aggressive birds. Not hard enough to damage them, but hard enough they stop that behavior. It’s basically all just a dominance thing as another poster poured out. Your rooster has acclimated so he expects he’s the boss of you now. You must let him know that’s not correct before his spurs come in hopefully. Otherwise there’s always Coq au vin…;-)

Attachments

• 469379BB-8701-4BEC-A2F7-F83BD91D8FF0.jpeg
    469379BB-8701-4BEC-A2F7-F83BD91D8FF0.jpeg
    921.2 KB · Views: 7
  • 276EF98F-DC68-4834-8638-A1A1AC0C208B.jpeg
    276EF98F-DC68-4834-8638-A1A1AC0C208B.jpeg
    829.5 KB · Views: 7
Kicking the rooster is sometime very satisfying, but generally the least effective and not recommended method for managing this problem! Read those articles written by much more experienced chicken keepers...
Mary
Birds in the pen run at one another and will bump against one another with their chests like linebackers, until dominance is established. It is often enough that one bird will not give way until contact in made, or a hard peck given
That is the benefit of a boot with a rooster - proving you can bump as hard (or harder if needed) than he can, and not giving way to his challenge.

I would beware of sitting down next to him (on the ground?) it really puts your face right in an ideal attack zone. Also, because you don't look so big, you look more manageable. Roosters tend to attack children first, then women, then men.

Mrs K

Back
Top Bottom