Roosterless flock

mossyoakpro

Songster
Jun 9, 2022
South Georgia
I'm at the end of my rope with the rooster I have constantly trying to attack me so he's leaving....either in a crate or crock pot, that is still undecided. Anyway, do the hens do alright by themselves while free ranging? I live in the country and have predators around and have already lost one to a hawk WITH the jackass here so what's the reason to have one? I do not need to fertilize eggs so he's really just another mouth to feed that does nothing but harass me....

Last edited:
One or more of your hens might take over his duties as flock protector.
Sorry you have to cull your boy, I can't fathom being without a rooster now that I've got 2 good ones, but that's just me..... I love my boys... ♥️

Last edited:
Hens will do fine without a rooster. A flock does not need to have a male, but it is suggested to have one for protection and fertilized eggs, incase you ever want to hatch eggs. The best a rooster will do at protecting, most of the time, is sacrifice himself for his hens and die. If you have already lost a hen to a hawk with the rooster there, he is apparently not doing his job.

As someone that free-ranges 24/7 it depends on the hens. If they're tough breeds they should still resist predation for the most part, but your hens may leave to seek out males elsewhere

In the few months I was without a rooster I lost zero hens to predators, but three hens left my flock to join the neighbor's because he had some handsome roosters and I didn't. During this same time frame I also had a random rooster show up in my flock because he could hear hens that were without a rooster

Chickens both male and female will travel quite far in search of mates. I would always recommend having a rooster to avoid chicken travelling alone

As someone that free-ranges 24/7 it depends on the hens. If they're tough breeds they should still resist predation for the most part, but your hens may leave to seek out males elsewhere

In the few months I was without a rooster I lost zero hens to predators, but three hens left my flock to join the neighbor's because he had some handsome roosters and I didn't. During this same time frame I also had a random rooster show up in my flock because he could hear hens that were without a rooster

Chickens both male and female will travel quite far in search of mates. I would always recommend having a rooster to avoid chicken travelling alone
None of my neighbors have chickens so I don't think mine will go anywhere....the hens are very "needy" of me and come running anytime I'm around. That may be what the problem is with the rooster? They seem to like me better! LOL

Hens will do fine without a rooster. A flock does not need to have a male, but it is suggested to have one for protection and fertilized eggs, incase you ever want to hatch eggs. The best a rooster will do at protecting, most of the time, is sacrifice himself for his hens and die. If you have already lost a hen to a hawk with the rooster there, he is apparently not doing his job.
I had him around for that very reason...he is supposed to be the sentry but he apparently is not very good at it. I will be searching for another rooster from some of my friends that I know with flocks so that I can get one from a trusted source and not a stranger that may have disease or something in their flock.

Back
Top Bottom