Rouen Duck thread

Pics

My Rouen eggs are still green it's been a week
1f44d.png
are they going to stay that way?

They probably will. Your very lucky to have a Rouen that lays green eggs I'm envious.

I dont know he was one that I have had now for 3 yearsish and he stayed last winter when his mallard buddie was still around, but he got nabbed by a animal...

I have high thoughts he will hang around, he knows where food is haha.

I love her! She is like my Peaches who is a pekin. Pekins are such fattys when it comes to feed time/ treats. Mine LOVES tomatoes! 

Lol she surprisingly isn't like that other than with treats. My other Pekins were big hogs and she used to be but has been through a lot and she slimmed down and has lost her huge appetite.

Here's a pic of Cheese's babies and it seems like my Rouen was a big part in father hood and I had no clue.

Hello, I have 2 week old Rouen duckling and this is my first. I think it's a drake, he is living in my house in a crate under his heat lamp. He seems happy eating, swimming and very attached to me, as if I was his mama. I have 6 chickens and would like them all to share the same coop, but knowing the info about drakes and chickens I am thinking of building him is own coop, that's if he's a drake! I don't want to have to get a friend for him, so is it unheard of to have a happy single duck, can he be alone?

Hello, I have 2 week old Rouen duckling and this is my first. I think it's a drake, he is living in my house in a crate under his heat lamp. He seems happy eating, swimming and very attached to me, as if I was his mama. I have 6 chickens and would like them all to share the same coop, but knowing the info about drakes and chickens I am thinking of building him is own coop, that's if he's a drake! I don't want to have to get a friend for him, so is it unheard of to have a happy single duck, can he be alone?

Honestly if you were gonna do that you should consider it being an inside duck but if that isn't possible than another duck is necessary as it will get very lonely by itself. Unless its a female than you will be able to put her in with the chickens.

How can I tell what the sex is at such a young age??

There is vent sexing but unless you know how to do it or you know someone who does I would suggest against it since you can hurt them if you do it wrong. The easiest way is to wait until it is about 5 weeks old it will either start quacking (girl) or it will be more quiet and raspy wacking (boy). I've found that my boys were the last for the voice to change but that doesn't mean it couldn't be a girl either. Since you only have one duck it should be quite easy to figure out once it becomes of age.

Back
Top Bottom