Rouen Duck thread

Pics
pure cracked corn is not a complete feed. It lacks the needed balance of nutrients for good health. Get some layer ration that is labeled to be a balance, complete feed and they should be alright by spring if they are fertile and otherwise healthy.

It is sometimes tempting to feed just pure corn as it is usually cheaper than balanced, pelleted rations. But then you run the possibility of your birds being malnourished for some nutrients even though they appear to be healthy. And layers will probably need added calcium as well. There are ways to feed pure cracked corn, but it requires supplementing with the correct feeds and is difficult to get the correct balance without a lot of experience with feed rationing. If you have Holderread's book on raising ducks he gives a couple of different home blends you can use, but unless you are feeding a very large flock it is cheaper to just buy the balanced, complete feed ration. A layer ration if your birds are laying with free choice oyster shell supplement (for the extra calcium needed for egg laying).

pure cracked corn is not a complete feed. It lacks the needed balance of nutrients for good health. Get some layer ration that is labeled to be a balance, complete feed and they should be alright by spring if they are fertile and otherwise healthy.

It is sometimes tempting to feed just pure corn as it is usually cheaper than balanced, pelleted rations. But then you run the possibility of your birds being malnourished for some nutrients even though they appear to be healthy. And layers will probably need added calcium as well. There are ways to feed pure cracked corn, but it requires supplementing with the correct feeds and is difficult to get the correct balance without a lot of experience with feed rationing. If you have Holderread's book on raising ducks he gives a couple of different home blends you can use, but unless you are feeding a very large flock it is cheaper to just buy the balanced, complete feed ration. A layer ration if your birds are laying with free choice oyster shell supplement (for the extra calcium needed for egg laying).

i have on top of the rouen ducks i have 30 muscovy ducks and 26 chickens to feed so that is where the problem is

My Rouens have not laid in about 2 weeks, last week was the shortest day of the year and I was wondering now that the days are getting longer if anyone has any idea when I should be searching my duck hut for another egg :) does anyone else have seasonal ducks? My ducks are only 7 months old so I really don't know what to expect or and experience with ducks

I can only speak from my experience with runners and buffs, and that is that while light matters, so does heat, feed, and the individual duck. Mine have taken anywhere from one to five months off laying. The longer break was, I feel, due to the stress of introducing a drake to the flock in the fall.

My Rouens have not laid in about 2 weeks, last week was the shortest day of the year and I was wondering now that the days are getting longer if anyone has any idea when I should be searching my duck hut for another egg :) does anyone else have seasonal ducks? My ducks are only 7 months old so I really don't know what to expect or and experience with ducks
Like Amelia said it depends mostly in your individual ducks, their diet, shelter, environment, and things like that. Rouen's aren't seasonal, only mallards and other ornamental fowl are. I'd check everyday for eggs. Sometimes mine like to hide the eggs very well and one day they might forget to cover them up and then I will find a whole nest. I don't want any unplanned hatches so I make sure to always check for eggs.

Back
Top Bottom