Rouen Duck thread

Pics
I have 2 Rouens ( 1 drake 1 hen) about 9 weeks old. Definately able to tell the difference but drake hasnt started to molt. They started out in brooder in house then brooder outside. Now they have a dog run with kiddy pool and dog house for shelter in the dog run. I want them to free range but never having ducks before i am very nervous about letting them out. Eventually i will have to and they have a 1 acre pond to swim in my back yard but dont know how to transition them. I dont want to have to search for them and chase them back into dog run. Any suggestions on doing this and if they are old enough?

Last edited:

My 4 week old Rouen/mallard (not sure which yet) is starting to get a green sheen on it's head. Does that for sure mean it's a boy? It is not qucking yet. Still peeping.

My 4 week old Rouen/mallard (not sure which yet) is starting to get a green sheen on it's head. Does that for sure mean it's a boy? It is not qucking yet. Still peeping.

Yup that usually means boy for sure. But at 4 weeks?? They usually change their head coloring around 3-4 months old. Depending on when they start molting... Weird...

Mine is 6 weeks and his/her head looks green at certain angles but I was told its too early for that to prove anything one way or the other.

Mine is 6 weeks and his/her head looks green at certain angles but I was told its too early for that to prove anything one way or the other.
that's what I'm wondering. If it is still too soon to know or if green means for syre boy. Let me try and post a pic of "him"

Yeah...I'm pretty sure its still too soon to tell and mine is starting to make noises that seem like they may be turning into quacks...so I think only time will tell...and on another note it looks like we have matching duckling pairs lol this pic is a few weeks old but its the most recent one I have of them together

Back
Top Bottom