Sad day for crazy feathers

crazyfeathers

Songster
6 Years
Aug 24, 2013
Auburndale, Wi

Today was the last time I allowed Russell Crow to spur me. It saddens me that I had to cull him from my flock but I cannot worry about the safety of me, family or children who come over to enjoy our hobby farm.
Russell was good to his girls, called to them when he found treats to eat and had the loudest most perfect crow I have ever heard. He will be missed.
On a lighter note my mother-in-law just asked yesterday if we had any chickens in the freezer she could have, well she got one and a huge on at that.
Also I am turning into a pretty good butcher, have learned a lot from BYC.
Thanks for looking at my Russell.

How could you have the heart to kill him?
hit.gif
I think I might rather die then have to kill a completely healthy chicken. I would never forgive myself. Well it sounds like it was hard for you, no offence but in my mind that's a good thing. He looks like he was a beautiful boy! I could never kill my roosters, even though most of my boys are very mean with huge spurs. I would never give 'em away either.
RIP. Sorry you had to kill ur beautiful boy!

Good for you for doing the responsible thing. He was beautiful, but there are plenty of beautiful nice roosters out there. A mean rooster can be a liability - especially when you have visitors that include children. And you got a bonus. A chance to make points with the mother-in-law!

Sorry you had to cull Russell Crow, he was a lovely golden rooster, but temperament is so important and mean roos are just too dangerous, around children especially. At least your mil will be happy.

Lol True, points are good lol. Russell attacked and spurred my husband numerous times and me a few and we didn't consider culling him but as time went on he got braver and I got more afraid of him. Russell was treated beautifully. Fed and housed well and I did what was best for our situation. We have pot bellied pigs, goats, rabbits, chickens and more chickens as well as other furry friend's and we started our hobby farm for the kids, not only to enjoy animals but to learn about them too. I understand some may have a problem culling but if your 3 month old grandson was in his stroller while Russell was free ranging and he decided to attack, I would NEVER forgive myself. It's what's more important to the person. Thanks I will get off my soap box and stop trying to justify my reasons for culling Russell.

Thanks for the support, I felt bad when the first post I read was "how could u kill a perfectly healthy rooster" .
I am not heartless, I took great care of Russell and your right there are plenty of "good" roosters, I should know I have 2 others who are sweet
And enjoy being petted and hand Fed.

Thanks for the support, I felt bad when the first post I read was "how could u kill a perfectly healthy rooster" .
I am not heartless, I took great care of Russell and your right there are plenty of "good" roosters, I should know I have 2 others who are sweet
And enjoy being petted and hand Fed.
No, you are not heartless. You took great care of him, and his demise was quick and humane, I'm sure. Nothing wrong with that! And he didn't go to waste. I hope your mother-in-law enjoyed her chicken dinner! We all manage our flocks differently, and as long as our animals aren't being abused or neglected, it's not up to anyone else to judge how we handle things. Some people prefer to have to watch their back every time they go out of the house, some of us prefer to have animals that we can trust and enjoy, and cull those we don't. Personally, I have chickens for the enjoyment of it, and if I have a rooster that is taking away that joy, he gets invited to dinner. Fortunately, I had great rooster for about two years. He disappeared along with 3 or 4 others while I was on vacation this summer - we think taken by coyotes. The only thing left was a few tail feathers in the driveway. We do have his son now roostering our flock. He seems to be a good one, too. So far, anyway. He's 7 months old and I have yet to have him look like he's even thinking of challenging me. He just moves off when I come near, and when my mom's dog comes to visit he leads the hens into the brush. (The dog doesn't even look their way, but that's OK - I'd rather have them be cautious.) He's pretty big, so if he does get aggressive, I know where I can get a good meal!
smile.png

Sorry that you had to kill him but you did the right thing.You can find a rooster that isn't so mean and you don'y want any kids hurt or anything.
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom