Sad :( Had to cull a chick

Sorry Gritsar I have read lots of your posts and they are usually enjoyable. Sorry this isn't such a good one... Hope the day gets better
hugs.gif

We had to cull a chick too as it was hatched with its guts out and what seemed a badly formed leg. Sad but it had to be done - my poor broody looked for it for days she kept going back to the coop in that one corner where it hatched even though she had 4 others to care for. DH did ours. I find it hard to kill anything for what ever reason as I am a soft touch for everything small and furry. - I have a momma mouse hiding in my food store right now with 5 babies - Yeah I know!! DH is setting traps in the house to kill the mice comming in up the pipes and I am hiding some in the feed store
hmm.png
- What can I say I love critters!!!!! Except - evil Ferrets called Fang ( But thats another storry) wild Rats and anything with more than 7 legs and less than 9!
hide.gif

hugs.gif
hugs.gif
hugs.gif

Oesdog

I'm so sorry you had to do cull one of your four new babies, Gritty. Even if your DH had to do the deed, I'm still in awe of the decision to do the best thing for the chick.

I probably should have culled Tiny Tim, with his one leg that won't move into place for him to stand upright. < *sigh* >

BUT he is surviving as a disabled chick, remarkably well. He practically SWIMS across the brooder in the shavings, and pretty darned fast, too. He can get from one side to the other, the long way, in seconds. He snuggles with the rest of them, nobody has picked on him at all, and he eats the feed they swipe/kick out of the feeder. Because the waterer is on a bit of wood to keep it out of the shavings, I have been giving him supplemental sugar water by hypo drips, and he's starting to refuse that attention. Apparently he's getting his liquids when I'm not looking.

He uses his wings and the one good leg to perambulate. Sometimes he gets up an inch and hops, so I am thinking he just might make it and my inability to cull him might not be such a bad thing, after all.

And he's a cockerel, a little BR. Like I need another rooster! But gosh....

Linda, you do what's best for each animal in your care and only you can make the decision.
hugs.gif

Most folks said I should have culled Lil'Bit as a chick, yet she had two great years of life and blessed mine richly. Now it's almost Hope's turn and I am not yet ready to let her go.
When Keith thought I was out of earshot I heard the little sweet talking he did to Yeti before he put him out of his misery. Made me
hit.gif
to hear it, but the last thing that little chick heard before he passed was a deep, sweet voice telling him how special he was.
smile.png

Quote:
Bwaaahaaaaahaaaaaaaa.
hit.gif
< *gulp* > That just tore me up with love. < *sniffle* >

There have been many times over the last 8 years that the big bear of a guy has made my heart swell with his tenderness towards my animals that he claims he doesn't like. I won't tell on him if you won't.
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom