Salpingitis? Calcium? Antibiotics?

Update: Blondie looked somewhat better during the late afternoon "play ground" time today, She still is not returned to her previous level of health at all...I did see her eat a bit of the wet Layena mix in the treat bowl. I did not see her poop. She ate some weeds/grass in the protected area. She would scratch a bit here and there. Normally if any treat was tossed, no matter what, Blondie would be first to the yummy. Again tonight she was not as interested in running to a thrown snack. We're going to bring her in again tonight to the crate in the laundry room so I can get the right amount of calcium/Vit D down her throat. Also think it would be good for her to be in a warmer place for the night. And also I won't be going outside during the night to check on her. Went to a local independent farm store and they were out of stock on Aqua Max; Nearest Tractor Supply doesn'r have it in stock. It would be wonderful if just the increased calcium could help her get through this. There used to be a 24 Hour Emergency Pet Hospital not far from here. I'll check her through the night and we'll see how she is tomorros. Very kind young lady working at the local independent farm and ranch store said to check Amazon, etc. again....which I will do.

That does look like lash egg material from salpingitis. Can you cut it open? I would give her a total of 600mg of calcium with D each day for a few days. Just pop the tablet into the back of her throat. You can get amoxicillin for fish online and possibly at a pet or feed store. It is called Aqua Mox or Fish Mox, and dosage is 250 mg twice a day for 7-10 days. Some also use enrofloxacin 10% liquid, 0.25 mg for a 5 pound chicken twice a day for 5 days. That is found online for pigeons without a prescription, but just so you know, it is not approved for chickens. It is like human cipro, and some vets do quietly treat chickens with it. Here is some reading:
https://the-chicken-chick.com/salpingitis-lash-eggs-in-backyard/

https://jedds.com/products/enrofloxacin-10
I was told that enrofloxacin was an anti-inflamatory medication and I need to find an anti-biotic don"t I? So should both ampacillin and enrofloxacin be given at once....in an ideal situation? I don't care if Blondie never lays another egg, I just want to try to help her recover from whatever is going on.

I found an online pharmacy with ampicillin and paid for express shipping hoping to get the drug ASAP....but it will still be Tuesday at best. I brought her in to the crate again last night so I could see if any more cheese stuff was passed and because we had frost last night. Could not get her to eat anything at all this morning. We gave her calcium last night and will repeat again this evening. She did drink when I put her back into the run this morning but she is obviously very ill if she won't eat scrambled egg. I am torn about whether I should go ahead and get her to the emergency vet hospital today.......Expensive but I want to give her the best chance to recover.

Thanks, Allvet is where I ordered the amoxicillin but it won't arrive until probably Tuesday. I'm definitely leaning to just taking her to the Emergency vet place so she can get started on antibiotics immediately.
That’s great. Just a heads up, the avian vet is unlikely to prescribe enrofloxacin. I would push/ask for it and say you are willing to sign something saying you will not eat the bird nor the eggs. My inderstanding is that enrofloxacin is “not indicated in poultry” because of the possibilty of causing human resistance, but I could be mistaken. If they refuse, ask what they think about doxycycline. Let them know you’ve done your homework and you understand salpingitis needs something strong.

Amoxicillin is gentler on the stomach, but not as strong.

The calcium is probably for the shell-less egg that was found. She is also eating layena feed. If her calcium level is normal, then she may have a problem with her shell gland.
Yes, I get that. Thanks. It still bewilders me if he is not also prescribing antibiotics with that photo of what she expelled.

I had a hen (Dorothy, California White, which is 3/4 Leghorn) who battled shell-less eggs for a year. At first, Calcium Citrate helped. When that stopped, shredded zucchini seemed to help, maybe from the manganese? Ultimately, she just could not put shells on eggs and I believe she died of a reproductive infection gone septic. Could not confirm via necropsy at UC Davis due to the timing of her death, so I don’t know of it was salpingitis or egg yolk peritonitis. However, totally agree she had a defective shell gland. Poor thing.

That may be the case here with OP, but I would still hit it HARD with antibiotics, just in case. Ultimately, it is likely to kill her, which is sad. But she might get a reprieve with the meds.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom