Sand? is Plaster sand ok?

tinyscrafts

In the Brooder
10 Years
May 19, 2009
Lakewood
So the landscape place has "wash plaster sand" for 50.00 a cubic yard. She said its the stuff they use for stucco. Is This ok for a chicken run? I don't want to get the wrong stuff and then have to pay to haul it out of here. I have landscape guys out there sweating and i'm not sure what to tell them yet... i have probably until tomorrow morning to decide...

I would not use it . It is power and it maybe harmful to chicken .I would check first . I use all purpose sand it has little bits of gravel and they like it .

You should be able to find an all purpose sand for a lot less. Check with your local cement company if your landscape or garden center can't do better on type and price.
smile.png

hmmm.. I looked at it and it had bits of bigger gravel like bits in it..
they had that and decomposed granite..and i thought that looked brown and dirty/messy.... There is one other place their price was 30.00 for a little less than 1yd but it seems like that's all anyone has other than silica play sand. I'm under the impression that the play sand isn't good, it sure looks finer....???

The most important variable with sand is how big the particles are, and how consistent in size they are. The bags of "play sand" are screened and washed better than, say, "TubeSand" sold for traction (one of the worst for dust and particle size variation).

Another variable is how rounded the particles are, vs. rough and angular. Rough sand will continue to create dust as the corners get knocked off in handling, where well-rounded sand has already had the easy corners knocked off.

Angular sand works great for stucco, brick mortar and concrete because the rough and pointy particles contribute to the strength better than well-rounded sand.

Quote:
I'm with rdranch. Get a washed sand or course grade from a landscape supply company or gravel plant. I filled my 12x16ft run with 5 tons, equal to a six inch layer for about $125.00

The mix I got was perfect for the run, with no stones bigger than 3/8 inch.

Last edited:
I am putting down coarse sand made from crushed limestone for a path thru the run to the coop. It will double as a grit supply since it has particles as big as 1/4" tops. It is the kind used to make concrete. For dust bath areas I use fine masonry sand either from crusher or mountain sand or river sand. I always buy sand at materials place and never at home improvement stores. Far cheaper that way if you haul your own.
wink.png

I use simple play sand. Got the 50lb bag at Lowe's for $3. I only needed a bag and half and this will last a good long while.
is the play sand ok for the chickens? i was once told sand had to be sillica free (and no where on the bag does it metion sillica stupid bags
he.gif
) i want to use sand but i dont want to pay an arm for it or get the wrong kind....

is the play sand ok for the chickens? i was once told sand had to be sillica free (and no where on the bag does it metion sillica stupid bags
he.gif
) i want to use sand but i dont want to pay an arm for it or get the wrong kind....

I've had the play sand from Home depot in my run for a year now and all 10 of my birds are doing well!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom