Sasha's autopsy

MochaDuck

Crowing
Jun 7, 2018
Update: Sasha died. Thanks for your help and sympathy. The thread is now awaiting her autopsy results.

My 3yo kaki Campbell, Sasha, is acting sick. She just stands there shivering, and her eyes are half closed some of the time; and she kind of looks like she has a weird look in them. She barely moved when you try to touch her (usually she throws her head up complaining to the world, while running). She even let me carry her without much complaint. When she does walk she needs her wings on the ground to keep her steady. When she got in the water both are drakes went after her. She won't eat. We have duck 3 hens that lay, for a long time we'd only get 2/3 eggs, but recently we've had less and less. Neither of the other hens are acting this way. She had no physical contact with the duckling I found. What's wrong with her? How do o fix it?
TiA
@Miss Lydia @DuckyDonna @WVduckchick
@Jpat @Bridger Davis

Attachments

• IMG_2613.JPG
    IMG_2613.JPG
    833.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2614.JPG
    IMG_2614.JPG
    621.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2615.JPG
    IMG_2615.JPG
    853.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
We dropped her off for an austopy. We'll probably get results tomorrow or Monday (if they're closed weekends).

I was just thinking: Sasha's best friend was another kaki Campbell named Michael. Micheal died a while ago. If ducks go to heaven or some kind of animal heaven, picture how happy Sasha was to see micheal again.

@Miss Lydia
We just got the results from the autopsy. Fair warning: it is morbid.

So what happened was she had a hemorrhagic cyst on her overy.

So basically, she had internal bleeding and bled to death. The autopsy doctor said that even if we rushed her to a vet as soon as we saw she was sick, there was nothing that could be done.

I'm depressed she died such a horrible death, but I'm very relieved it's not contagious. And I'm kind of relived that there was nothing I could do, not because I don't care about her, but because I now know that I didn't do anything wrong, or it wasn't that I didn't act fast enough.

I’m so sorry,it’s so sad that they hide their illness so well sometimes when it’s too late to do anything. @casportpony i believe has a list of places in states that do necropsy. Do you have a vet for other animals they maybe able to tell you where to send the body. Please keep us updated.

While waiting for the autopsy report, here's a picture of baby Sasha (yes, I know it's a terrible picture). She was so cute!
IMG_2621.PNG

I'm worried sick that this'll be contagious. All of my other ducks act fine, but she seemed was fine this morning when my mom let her out. Then she went downhill quickly. I'm not sure, but when I think of her symptoms, I think (if not eggnound) she may have been bit by a snake. But I didn't look all over her for bites either. I don't know why a snake would bite her, but with her symptoms kinda match how I think she'd be if a venomous snake got her.

Back
Top Bottom