Sasha's autopsy

MochaDuck

Crowing
Jun 7, 2018
Update: Sasha died. Thanks for your help and sympathy. The thread is now awaiting her autopsy results.

My 3yo kaki Campbell, Sasha, is acting sick. She just stands there shivering, and her eyes are half closed some of the time; and she kind of looks like she has a weird look in them. She barely moved when you try to touch her (usually she throws her head up complaining to the world, while running). She even let me carry her without much complaint. When she does walk she needs her wings on the ground to keep her steady. When she got in the water both are drakes went after her. She won't eat. We have duck 3 hens that lay, for a long time we'd only get 2/3 eggs, but recently we've had less and less. Neither of the other hens are acting this way. She had no physical contact with the duckling I found. What's wrong with her? How do o fix it?
TiA
@Miss Lydia @DuckyDonna @WVduckchick
@Jpat @Bridger Davis

Attachments

• IMG_2613.JPG
    IMG_2613.JPG
    833.1 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_2614.JPG
    IMG_2614.JPG
    621.9 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_2615.JPG
    IMG_2615.JPG
    853.6 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
You don't know when she laid last? Sounds like she is sick I would keep her away from the drakes for sure and keep her warm since she is shivering she may have a fever.

Any chance of getting her to a vet?
I'll look for a vet. Unfortunately there's not much in the way of poultry help around here

How should I keep her warm? Heat lamp, blanket, etc.?

Do you think she's contagious?

I don't know if she is contagious but she has been around the other ducks so no need to isolated her because of that. To keep her warm put her where she can't get wet and out of drafts. and if she continues to shiver then maybe try a heat lamp. You don't want her over heated but you also don't want her cold. Make sure she has fresh water and feed where she can easily get to it. Do you know when she laid last? I found a cat, dog vet that would see my duck when she had a case of bumble foot. so call around someone may see her.

She just drank a little, so that's a good sign I think.

I don't know if she is contagious but she has been around the other ducks so no need to isolated her because of that. To keep her warm put her where she can't get wet and out of drafts. and if she continues to shiver then maybe try a heat lamp. You don't want her over heated but you also don't want her cold. Make sure she has fresh water and feed where she can easily get to it. Do you know when she laid last? I found a cat, dog vet that would see my duck when she had a case of bumble foot. so call around someone may see her.
Ok. Thanks.

What's wet feather? Or is it just feathers that are wet?

Egg bound was something I thought of too. What are the symptoms in dicks, and what could I do for her if it is that?
Wet feather is a condition they can get when the oil gland stops working..Google it. Egg bound they can definitely die from if the egg is trapped inside. They can't walk and become very lethargic..

I’d get her In some nice warm water let her soak for. While gently palpate her tummy for an egg. You maybe able to feel one mAybe not. This is where a vet could examine to determine if she is egg bound. Do you have any calcium supplements?

Back
Top Bottom