Savage mini dinosaur - a day in the life of a keet.

Sounds like your little one is growing up fast. A cheerful greeting is great; it's good to be needed, but when it's constant, it can be a bit exhausting. :D

Wow on the temperature. We won't see days that warm here for months. Today could hit the mid 40s, which is well above average.

BTW, I had no idea what a wagtail is and had to Google. I bet they were really cute together.

BTW, I had no idea what a wagtail is and had to Google. I bet they were really cute together.

They are very common birds here and they are called Wagtails because their tails are constantly bobbing up and down - adorable to watch.

A few years back, I rescued some Wagtail chicks when a storm destroyed their nest located in my folks' garden. Fortunately I thought to check on them when the cold windy winter storm hit (there was snow on the surrounding mountains the next day). I found two chicks hanging caught on the vine below the nest and I found another laying stone cold on the brick paving. They all looked to be dead, but when I went to pick up the one on the paving, it ever so slightly moved. I then rushed all three inside into my dad's cupped hands. Sadly one never made it, but two we managed to revive and they slowly recoved their pink colour in the warmth of dad's hands.

Cape_Wagtails_04.jpg

The Wagtail chicks in the nest a day or two before the storm hit.

Cape_Wagtails_06b.jpg

The Wagtail nest completely flattened after the storm.

Cape_Wagtails_07b.jpg

The next day after the rescue.

Cape_Wagtails_11.jpg

Outside, "helping" me with my painting. Don't you think they look like characters from the film 'Angry Birds'? Just balls with a beak and a tail, hahaha.

Cape_Wagtails_20.jpg

They both were free to come and go as they pleased. One left for good as soon as it was able to fend for itself; and the other stayed with me for few weeks more before it too left for good.

112_Gill_facebook.jpg

Me with my Wagtail, Dash.

Last edited:
The keet is now five weeks and four days old (39 total days), and yesterday it started making a new sound, but it only makes this sound when I am stroking or petting it. It is obviously difficult to describe a noise, but I am going to give it a go...

It is higher pitched than the keet's normal chirping and it has a slight vibration to it. It sort of goes like "whoweeeee" as compared to it's normal "you-too" sound.

Anyone speak Guinea Fowl?
😂

The keet is now five weeks and four days old (39 total days), and yesterday it started making a new sound, but it only makes this sound when I am stroking or petting it. It is obviously difficult to describe a noise, but I am going to give it a go...

It is higher pitched than the keet's normal chirping and it has a slight vibration to it. It sort of goes like "whoweeeee" as compared to it's normal "you-too" sound.

Anyone speak Guinea Fowl?
😂
I don't speak guinea Fowl, but that's cute it's making noises when you pet it!

Back
Top Bottom