Savage mini dinosaur - a day in the life of a keet.

Today the keet is five weeks old and is doing really well. In the past two days I have noticed a change in colour of its beak - moving from orange-red to dark brown with a hint of black. Amazing how quickly the changes are happening.

There has also been a notable change in the keet's demand for my attention. I can now leave it alone for longer length's of time without it screaming its heart out. And when I return it is calmly waiting and greets me in a cheerful 'I have missed you' way, instead of a desperate 'where have you been?!!!!!' way.

Today the keet seemed to make friends with a Wagtail. The keet and I were outside sitting in the shade of the thorn trees (the temperature is 35 degrees Celsius or 95 degrees Fahrenheit). The keet was taking a dust bath when the Wagtail landed just a few feet away. The two of them then wandered around together hunting for bugs. It was adorable to watch - the Wagtail being less than half the keet's size.
I posted some info about giving access to a mirror. Mine are in a confined space and they just love the mirror. I have only three keets, two weeks old at the moment and they LOVE the mirror. Twittering and talking to the other birds that they cannot reach!

I posted some info about giving access to a mirror.
Yes, thank you! I saw your message, in my other thread, which I have quoted part of below for others reading this thread to click on to go to see your entire message (and to see my responce); and I will respond to it in that thread.
(Shooo, reading this over, it feels like a mouth full, lol... hope it makes sense?)
Hello! I just had a thought. If your keet is lonely - they just LOVE having a mirror...

Today the keet is 11 weeks (77 days) old.

Yesterday was the first time the keet woke up outside to an overcast day, and I can see how the story of Chicken Little came about. After I rolled up the side covers to the bird loft, the keet took one look at the sky and it froze in the doorway with its head tilted up with much trepidation. I had to coax it out of the bird loft with a food incentive. It took a few minutes for the keet to trust that the sky was not falling.

Today I took a good look at how streamlined the keet's feathers have become. It is now like a Transformer - you can't see it has wings "under the bodywork" until you see it unfold.

The Guinlet died Saturday night between the hours of 11pm and midnight, at three months and twelve days old, of complications of the respiratory system. It fought bravely to the end and died in my arms.
The wee little beastie beat the odds of survival so many times that it is a real tragedy that its luck had to run out so soon, ...but it lived well and was very much loved.
Thank you to everyone for the support you gave me during its short life; even if it was just to share a laugh with me over some of its antics.

I am so sorry for your loss :hugs thank you for sharing the stories and photos of your keet growing up, it was definitely loved by you and lived a wonderful life.

Back
Top Bottom