Save the Chickens! See our TV interview!!!

msbee

Songster
8 Years
Mar 17, 2011
MN
Well, the battle has begun to not only save my byc, but bring the opportunity to everyone in my city.

I've had byc for 2 years. The code is somewhat nebulous, doesn't specifically mentions chickens, but also doesn't specifically use the defined word of "domestic pets" to 100% rule out chickens. The code does, however, have 2 full pages on how to have a pot bellied pig... Go figure. Generally, byc are illegal though...

Anywhoo, this summer a neighbor finally complained (really, over some petty issues NOT related to the chickens) and the city animal control came to my door. He gave me a warning because the council had started discussing it 4 mos ago when another gal received a complaint. Only she had to pay a $150 fine!

So, I contacted my city council person, the local newspaper, and the local TV station. I gave multiple interviews today. Turns out, my council rep is a fan of byc and is friends with the gal who was fined. However, the council's last straw poll went like this 3 for, 3 against, 1 absent. What's worse, the 1 absent is dating Ms. Mayor, and Ms. Mayor is against it because "it will cost $10-$15,000 to change the code and we don't have that kind of money right now".

Sigh.

Anyway, see here for the clip of our TV interview. Click on the 3rd box for the clip. http://nwtv12.img.entriq.net/htm/nwtv12flashplayer.htm?articleID=9437

See
here for a blog post by a local community action group http://communitysolutionsmn.wordpress.com/2011/07/14/save-the-chickens/

Politics
is a weird world. If you are inclined, I covet your prayers!

Oh, I might add, that our city is surrounded by 3 other cities that allow chickens - New Hope, Robbinsdale, and the city of Minneapolis itself. Minneapolis even allows roosters! It's time Crystal entered the 21st century!

I moved to the country in February so I could have a back yard flock, now I am dealing with get my game bird license to be able to have ducks. I hope everything works out for you. It's looks like you have a nice clean operation. And it's good to see a younger person interested in the chickens. Hopefully the council allows you to keep them, maybe just put a cap on the number that you have so their is a happy medium with your neighbor. Good Luck!

My daughter just loves the chickens and she's great with them.

Thanks for everyone's support! I'm finding that some in the city council are incredibly closed minded to this...

Feel free to pass the info on via facebook and twitter - we want to be able to encourage other residents who would work in their cities for byc too!

WOW! Keep up the good publicity punch. Pass this on to regional media. It worked in my town. After council members saw all of the positive reports on chickens a s backyard pets,and the pro chicken people came out to council meetings the rules were finally changed to allw up to 6 hens per backyard! You rock!

Back
Top Bottom