Saw this ad on CL... seriously, I don't believe this

And?? They still are doing the right thing and giving away the chicks for free so they can have a home.
Now if they just dropped them off in the woods somewhere... yeah... thats scum bag stuff.
But they're TRYING to find them homes. and do the right thing for them...
And yep.. if you hatch 20 eggs and you KNOW you dont want 20 chickens...and that you'll sell the babies for money...
you're really not any different. Just my opinion.. and that doesnt bother me at all either. Why should it?

Quote:
I guess if they had kept it for awhile and then decided that chicken raising wasn't for them it would be one thing. Getting rid of them the day after Easter says something else==that they never planned to keep it: a toy for a day.

I agree, I don't like the fact that this was just a pet for the day.

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

This ad just was posted on our local CL. There are a few similar ads here each year like this. Hopefully they will prevent some people from dumping or letting unwanted chicks and ducks just die from neglect.

Unwanted Easter Chicks? (York)

If you are not planning to keep your easter chicks or ducks after Easter, I will be more than happy to provide them a great home to free range here on our farm. Please email with what you have and a contact number and I will get right back to you. Thanks​

If you live in town you can not buy ducks even if we can legally have them in town because so many people buy ducks for Easter then let them go into a park with a pond there where so many ducks and geese that it cause an algae problem that killed all the fish. I have thought about posting on CL that I will take any and all chicks ducks and bunnies that people bought for Easter and no long want. I would process the rooster and keep the layers I might have to sell a few pullets at POL but I think then at least they would have a chance for a better life then being kept in a box until they died. I have seen some people buying meat birds for Easter and then when the chick dies the kids are so upset. I also don't like the face that these people are teaching their children that animals are disposable just adds to the unwanted animals already out there IMO.

Quote:

I just copied and pasted this to my local craigslist
smile.png
I also put up flyers in my local area! You'd think country folks around here would know better but....

On Monday I took in 5 Easter ducklings, delivery included and free of charge. Poor things were thirsty and filthy! I think I have a home lined up for the 3 Pekin which is good. I want mostly Saxony ducks, so these 5 plus the 3 Mallard cross babies I hatched, some rearranging will have to happen.

But at least they're out of that tiny, filthy dog crate. The woman was like "I'm so glad they're with someone who knows what to do with them".

Yeah, I'll bet. Why don't people think before they buy? At least she didn't think about releasing them.

Quote:
The small City I used to work for has a small lake in one of the parks which had so many dumped ducks & geese that it was creating a health hazard. There also was a large population of wild ducks & geese too. People used to feed them and the ground was totally covered with poop as well as some of the nasty geese were chasing people. The City finally made an ordinance making it unlawful to feed the waterfowl then rounded up all of the domestic ducks and geese and took them to a livestock auction. Although many people were very upset when it happened, the lake, park and wild waterfowl are much better off the past few years.

Back
Top Bottom