1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Scaly leg sudden death

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by adambeal, Oct 8, 2014.

1. adambeal

adambeal Out Of The Brooder

May 28, 2014
    Yesterday my son noticed scaly leg and a large swollen area on one of our 6 mo old barred rock roosters. Today it couldn't walk well and we put his legs in mason jar with gas then let them dry. Next we put A & D ointment on his legs. He struggled a bit while we were applying it then just fell over dead. Couldn't believe it as scaly leg shouldn't cause death that quick right? Anyone know what this might be? Here was his leg before treatment [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2014
  2. welasharon

welasharon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2010
    North Florida
    Please do not use gasoline on animals. You could have dipped his legs in vegetable oil and it would have done the job of smothering the mites. There are many threads on here that detail how to deal with them.

3. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    Gas like gasoline? That wouldn't have helped treat the scaly leg - vaseline would have been what to put on there - and may actually have been why he died. All birds have really sensitive respiratory systems, and if he was sitting there inhaling gas fumes it may well have killed him.

4. Eggcessive

Eggcessive Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    That leg looks either broken or there is something like a tumor or infection in it. X 2 on not using gasoline on legs.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by