Scammed by a buyer; what to do?

After reading your posts about ringing, I wonder if she put her own band or someone elses (a friend's) band on your ducks. Would this restore their value?

Yes :'( That is indeed a thing she could have done that I haven't thought about. And illigal band-trade does happen. I need to give my unnused bands back every year, and will get stalked if I don't; exactly for that reason. Because illigal band-trade is a thing. Allthough the bands cost 0,09 cents; I could sell them for 5 dollars on the black market if I would be such a person; because they heavely increase the vallue of a bird. Depending on species it can sometimes even be a difference from 0 dollar (not banned) to 800 dollar (banned). Even millions if we count pidgeons; but pidgeons have an own seperate banding-system. People that don't pass the intervieuw; or know they can't even pass because they are only having their birds in bad conditions to make a quick buck; will pay 5 dollar for those rings. Because it will give them a bigger better buck if they are ringed.

but; I don't think she will have actually done that. To actually sell a indian runner duck for more then 10 dollar; and around let's say 200 dollar; you need to know the right places, learn German, and invest in a social network in that world. No serious breeder will spend 200 dollars if there is no trust. Since they know the run of the mill. Hmm. Just like a lot of breeders on here; you are not easily fooled anymore. Would you guys just spend 200 dollars on a chicken/duck from someone who you don't know and comes up to you and says "Hi, I'm Karen from Holland; this duck is worth 200 dollars, you can buy it" and she can't answer simple questions like is it a drake/what do you feed it/where do it's parents come from/what colours does it carry/why is the band upside down etc. Nah. Coming in contact with people that are willing to pay 200 dollars for a good bird; that even costs around 100 dollars a year on memberships. That's a bad deal for 5 not-top-notch ducks.. If she is in it for the quick bux; she will probably not ring them; let those brothers and sisters have loads of baby's, and sell the baby's for 5-10 dollars. The base-price for an unbanded duck.

If she doesn't make tracks to her forgotten wallet when you stop by to 'check on the ducklings' with your partner, and/or work an immediate and direct trade by providing you with the equivalent in feed she's probably got sitting around - I'd have to agree with @BarredRockMom that it's a lost cause.

I would politely inquire about how she's doing with her cancer treatments, side effects and what not. This could be seen as out of bounds, but her response to you when demanding payment was "I have cancer." I would almost hope the kids answer the door and/or be within earshot- because it was fine with her for them to be there for the FIRST part of the scam. Maybe your stopping by will put that 'oh no' feeling into their bellies!

A witness helps- recording the entire interaction on your phone (should she phone the police to claim you're trespassing) - and have written copies of your agreements on your person, along with a consolidated sheet with all written communications, time/date stamps from emails, texts etc. Then you can wait off her immediate property with your well-documented situation.

None of these are comfortable things to do, far easier to suggest than to actually do.

The other weapon, of course- and I don't know how this translates across cultures, but word of mouth on what was done to you to mutual acquaintances- however distant - like a friend whose kids are in the same activities with this woman - can serve to educate others on how to deal with her (no 'I owe you' dealings) -- and it could bring to light how she's scammed others. People willing to treat you this way have wronged others, guaranteed. The worst thing for a con artist is to be found out and exposed.

Now, @Tycine1 has a great profile signature with a different take that I love: "If you loan someone $20 and you never see them again, it was money well spent."

I will probably do it like that; instead of "moving on". Because the main thing I have is more like; how many other people will experience the same; if I just even don't do anything. And what's up with those children. They were sooo weird; especially the oldest 13 y.o girl. They just stood really neatly in a line, and the 13 y.o. kept staring at me. They did not say anything. Did not respond. Folded their hands neatly while standing there in a line. Like it was a show they were used too, to put on. Except the toddler; that was clearly not yet trained like that. I'm not sure how I can explain this without sounding crazy or discriminating. Their clothes were too neat like going to church. It did not match their names, the tatoos of mom that slipped out. They were clearly all from different fathers; which is not weird since her partner is a female. But something was just really off. I don't go to church and my partner is heavily tatooed; it's not a thing like that, that I don't trust it because of how they are dressed of have tatoos or having different fathers; the whole stuff together is just shady.. and the childrens behaviour might remind me of my own past. That "behaving super neatly" when your parents tell you to so noone will find out what is actually going on at home. I might not be able to move on; because I suspect some more going on there then scamming. I don't have children but work with them for over 12 years, children with problems, and that "trained to behave perfect/silent when other adults around" gives me the shivvers. I also wished someone had said/done/asked/noticed when I was young. So this is probably more personal then "just a scammer" due to my past. Still don't know what to do though; but I think going over there is better then "move on". Atleast I even take time to do anything; might it be this worst case scenario I typed right now. Or just a scammer.

I'd forget the money and demand my ducks back. I'd get the police involved, knock firmly on the door, stand up straight, show my evidence and simply and nicely say I am taking my ducks back. Do it quickly so you catch her off her guard. People who steal are clever bullies, cowards and constant victims. Shine the light, make signs, tell her friends. If you are worried about the kids... worry what lesson they learn by you staying silent and letting the bully/coward win. She is their example and lifes lesson... and God help us if her kids turn out like her and have kids of their own to pass her lessons on to. Take back your power, take back your ducks... poor things

I will probably do it like that; instead of "moving on". Because the main thing I have is more like; how many other people will experience the same; if I just even don't do anything. And what's up with those children. They were sooo weird; especially the oldest 13 y.o girl. They just stood really neatly in a line, and the 13 y.o. kept staring at me. They did not say anything. Did not respond. Folded their hands neatly while standing there in a line. Like it was a show they were used too, to put on. Except the toddler; that was clearly not yet trained like that. I'm not sure how I can explain this without sounding crazy or discriminating. Their clothes were too neat like going to church. It did not match their names, the tatoos of mom that slipped out. They were clearly all from different fathers; which is not weird since her partner is a female. But something was just really off. I don't go to church and my partner is heavily tatooed; it's not a thing like that, that I don't trust it because of how they are dressed of have tatoos or having different fathers; the whole stuff together is just shady.. and the childrens behaviour might remind me of my own past. That "behaving super neatly" when your parents tell you to so noone will find out what is actually going on at home. I might not be able to move on; because I suspect some more going on there then scamming. I don't have children but work with them for over 12 years, children with problems, and that "trained to behave perfect/silent when other adults around" gives me the shivvers. I also wished someone had said/done/asked/noticed when I was young. So this is probably more personal then "just a scammer" due to my past. Still don't know what to do though; but I think going over there is better then "move on". Atleast I even take time to do anything; might it be this worst case scenario I typed right now. Or just a scammer.
You sure they're even her kids? Could be borrowing kids from friends to pull off these scams. She's probably done it more than once and the address she gave you, how do you know it's actually hers?

Everything she's told you could be made up and a lie. I think the situation should have been addressed a lot sooner than now (finding her whereabouts) and she probably isn't even where you think she is. Ducklings have probably been sold to get money...

I only speak from experience because I received a puppy that was stolen, but I got to keep her. The person who stole her was using her to get drug money. The puppy was a complete mess when I got her! People flip animals all the time just to earn an extra buck, it's awful.

Ha ha... maybe stole her kids too... poor things.

If I knew that she still had the ducklings, I would pay to get them back. I would literally knock on the door with the money in my hand and tell her to give me my ducklings back.

If she needed the money that bad then I would hand it to her. That would only be for the sake of her children because I would want them to have food on the table.

Reading this entire situation has definitely let me know that I made the right decision in not selling any of the offspring that I incubate. I couldn't imagine thinking about how they are being treated or what situation they could be in. I don't care if somebody is using them for meat, but there are just certain situations you don't want the animals you sell to be in. Being a pawn in someone's game is definitely one of those situations...

I'm so sorry :hugs

I'm hoping that you can get the ducklings back and that you will tell us that you've got them!

I honestly wouldn't sit on this any longer, I would go straight to her house or the address that she gave you and see what is going on! Just make sure that you have someone with you because there are crazy people in this world! Be safe!

I was going to the same the same thing about the kids... What a world we live in!
if @Loopeend "spidy senses" are going off she should definitely look into this. Maybe she is this jerks big mistake, Get it recorded if nothing else so the next person she scams there will be a record. And a closer look at what is happening with those poor kids...

Back
Top Bottom