Scammed by a buyer; what to do?

if @Loopeend "spidy senses" are going off she should definitely look into this. Maybe she is this jerks big mistake, Get it recorded if nothing else so the next person she scams there will be a record. And a closer look at what is happening with those poor kids...
Yeah, it's always good to act on "Spidey Senses" because your gut feeling is usually right. Maybe she needed to be caught so that she can learn her lesson for once. Who knows how long she's been doing things like this. Maybe the situation is a lot more than any of us could imagine...

How about getting a couple preferably female friends to go with you and take her some flowers? Take your ringing equipment with you and graciously tell her how sorry you are that she’s sick and that you are here to ring the ducks if she’ll kindly pay for them or take them back because they’ll be so much work to take care of with serious illness.
If the door is shut in your face just sit down on the steps till she can’t out wait you. The two females with you would lessen any feelings of threat . If she calls authorities whatever they are there you will have a chance to state your case.

Many times it is better to take a positive action in good faith. Give her a chance to come clean and you can hopefully let go of the unresolved angst.

If you decide to go to her home, even just to talk, you might seriously consider asking law enforcement to accompany you. That way there can be no allegations of threat or violence brought against you. Also, their presence might rattle her enough to either pay, return the ducks, or make some other barter with you--which you should complete immediately.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum; could not decide what the right place was to post this.

I need some moral guidance.

I have sold Indian runners. I work with a waiting list. They are high quality. I came in contact with a woman with 3 children that lived really nearby, that requested ducklings. We were talking so much I did something I would normally never do; I wanted to give her the ducklings before ringing because it is so much more fun and good for the bond with the ducks when raised from young at home. Since she lives nearby I can come ring them later on; she could lend duckling-stuff..she would keep me up to date, etc. She was really enthousiatic. I gave her an reduced price (70 euro's instead of 140; the ones she selected were 3 from 20 euro range and 2 from 40 euro range; due to cosmetic faults) because the children were so enthousiastic for them and she kept messaging me they counted the day when they came etc.
She came to pick them up; it was weird. Not like the japping online she did; fast; and she had forgotten her wallet. Since she lives so close; brought her children, I have her phone number, and she told so much personal stuff; I agreed on her offer she would pay this money when I would come ring the ducklings.

A day later I messaged her; How are the ducklings setteling? No response.
A week later; Hey; how do you guys manage with the ducklings? :) No response.
And again.
And again.
And calling and whatsapp.
The day of ringing has gone by; the could not even be ringed anymore.
So I messaged; I feel scammed. You did not hold yourself on the agreements we made. I really want this 70 euro on this bank-account, if I don't see this in a week I will take further steps.
She suddenly replied; Sorry. I have cancer.

I truely feel that this is an awfull excuse. My partners mom is at that moment dieing of cancer; and really; replying with "I have cancer" take the same amount of time then an finger-exercise of making over 70 euro's. I don't know. I have had myself an deathly disease and the first thing after not being able to reply suddenly in sales due to being admitted in the hospital was saying Sorry; pay inmedeatly; or when low energy pay it without even contacting them and apolagies.. I want for myself my contious cleared and don't leave people hanging or thinking I'm a scammer.

Anyway;
I know where she lives. Maybe she does have cancer. But it sounds like an excuse. Ask someone else to set it right and pay for the ducks if your energy levels are so low. Something. I can also see she weekly still does her voluntairy work at the local scouts. Maybe she is sick and hence does not have money.. but she also activaly breed rabbits, pigs, dogs, peacocks and horses; surely you can get 70 euro's somewhere? If your so poor because you are sick and can't work; how on earth can you clean all these animals and pay for their feed?
Some friends say; you need to get over, ring the bell, and politely ask for your money OR the ducks. This is clearly a scam; and she will scam more if you let her get away.
I am more soft-hearted; maybe she does have cancer, I don't want to disturb her anymore then neccesairy; and what is 70 euro's?

I really want to make a choice; but I need other people opinions on what to do to make one.
Would you help please?

Hello from Michigan, USA. I, too, use to raise all kinds of fowl including the Runners. Here, you cannot trust people, like that. I had a hatchery down in my basement. I even had a few people try to steal little turkeys while they were down there by putting them into the bag with the ones they bought.....But I am too smart for that!...Anyways, over here we call it "banding" where you simply put an aluminum band around the leg or wing. And, do not let her get away with stealing your ducks, no matter how sick she is. If she IS that sick, surely she wouldn't have the time or money to take care of the extra fowl and you would be doing both her and you a favor by getting them back. It is theft and you may need to contact authorities or go to court. You can't always be kind hearted with everyone...good luck on settling this. (It looks like this is an old post? but I just received it, so perhaps, if you have settled it, you can let us know what happened?) Good day.....Cynthia Haynes

My neighbor moved in a little over three years ago. We had a dispute over a tree on her property but which extended over the roof of our house....she did not get what she wanted from me and told me she was “dying from cancer” and I should be ashamed of myself (or something to that effect)......that was THREE years ago.... just sayin’:hmm

I agree with calling her or sending a letter stating you really feel that it would be irresponsible of you as the seller of these ducklings to leave them with her, since she must have just found out about her devastating diagnosis. I would say thats horrible and that given such a momentous diagnosis which her family will also be dealing with. You feel it would be in the best interest of all involved if you were to come and pick up your ducklings. After all you wouldn't want to burden her with the demands of caring for ducklings when she most certainly will need to take care of her own health. And after all the duckling legally are still your property since she has been too sick to pay for them. I would also include the guilt you would feel saddling her with such an unnecessary task, and you would also feel terrible if your ducklings were to become a task that got neglected and inevitably lead to your ducklings getting sick or worse yet, dying.
If I were you I would also ask around and find out who she has pulled this scam on. You must know you're not the first. If you find another person then I certainly would involve the legal system.
Good luck with however you decide to handle this sad situation.

I agree with everyone else, it sounds like she conned you. I hope she doesn't have cancer...I wouldn't wish that on anybody. But if she does and has to have therapy, her doctors might tell her she couldn't have all those animals anyway because therapies can compromise your immune system. And like others said, if she can afford to care for and feed all of those animals, she can come up with the money for the ducks, which she knowingly took from you. By the way, I'm German background and immediately recognized that "Loopeend" is almost the same word as "Laufente", i.e., runner duck. And I like this breed too.

I'm sorry if this is in the wrong sub-forum; could not decide what the right place was to post this.

I need some moral guidance.

I have sold Indian runners. I work with a waiting list. They are high quality. I came in contact with a woman with 3 children that lived really nearby, that requested ducklings. We were talking so much I did something I would normally never do; I wanted to give her the ducklings before ringing because it is so much more fun and good for the bond with the ducks when raised from young at home. Since she lives nearby I can come ring them later on; she could lend duckling-stuff..she would keep me up to date, etc. She was really enthousiatic. I gave her an reduced price (70 euro's instead of 140; the ones she selected were 3 from 20 euro range and 2 from 40 euro range; due to cosmetic faults) because the children were so enthousiastic for them and she kept messaging me they counted the day when they came etc.
She came to pick them up; it was weird. Not like the japping online she did; fast; and she had forgotten her wallet. Since she lives so close; brought her children, I have her phone number, and she told so much personal stuff; I agreed on her offer she would pay this money when I would come ring the ducklings.

A day later I messaged her; How are the ducklings setteling? No response.
A week later; Hey; how do you guys manage with the ducklings? :) No response.
And again.
And again.
And calling and whatsapp.
The day of ringing has gone by; the could not even be ringed anymore.
So I messaged; I feel scammed. You did not hold yourself on the agreements we made. I really want this 70 euro on this bank-account, if I don't see this in a week I will take further steps.
She suddenly replied; Sorry. I have cancer.

I truely feel that this is an awfull excuse. My partners mom is at that moment dieing of cancer; and really; replying with "I have cancer" take the same amount of time then an finger-exercise of making over 70 euro's. I don't know. I have had myself an deathly disease and the first thing after not being able to reply suddenly in sales due to being admitted in the hospital was saying Sorry; pay inmedeatly; or when low energy pay it without even contacting them and apolagies.. I want for myself my contious cleared and don't leave people hanging or thinking I'm a scammer.

Anyway;
I know where she lives. Maybe she does have cancer. But it sounds like an excuse. Ask someone else to set it right and pay for the ducks if your energy levels are so low. Something. I can also see she weekly still does her voluntairy work at the local scouts. Maybe she is sick and hence does not have money.. but she also activaly breed rabbits, pigs, dogs, peacocks and horses; surely you can get 70 euro's somewhere? If your so poor because you are sick and can't work; how on earth can you clean all these animals and pay for their feed?
Some friends say; you need to get over, ring the bell, and politely ask for your money OR the ducks. This is clearly a scam; and she will scam more if you let her get away.
I am more soft-hearted; maybe she does have cancer, I don't want to disturb her anymore then neccesairy; and what is 70 euro's?

I really want to make a choice; but I need other people opinions on what to do to make one.
Would you help please?
Yes, you have been stolen from. It is not a good feeling, especially when the thief tries to make you feel guilty. She also used her children - she is teaching them how to defraud and steal. Not right in any sense. What to do? Take someone with you, preferably a constable or animal protection person, and cages for your ducks and go to her place. Take your camera and take pictures. Tell her you want your money or you are taking the ducks. One other option is to trade your ducks for any other animals she has that you may want. Make sure you have a witness and don't worry about the children and how this will affect them. Be polite and don't raise your voice. This is on her shoulders. Enough said, except, don't put yourself in danger.

Back
Top Bottom