Scissor Beak chicken care

ashawkins

In the Brooder
Jul 17, 2021
This is Snuggles and she has scissor beak. She is smaller than her sister and her crest feathers are not as soft and healthy. Is there a supplement or something I can do to help her maintain a healthy weight and healthy feathers? And what is the best thing to use on her for baths? Her feathers around her beak, neck and face get pretty grungy.

Attachments

• B07A74F0-4BC8-4A8F-9718-67D6C3EC5D12.jpeg
    B07A74F0-4BC8-4A8F-9718-67D6C3EC5D12.jpeg
    336 KB · Views: 56
My crossbeak, Herky Jerky, seems to be able to eat wet food best. She's the first one out when I give them table scraps. I'm not sure I'd she'll ever be able to eat Pellets so I'll probably keep the flock on crumble. I wet some of their food and take it out there as a treat and just to make sure she's eating well. I know there is a nutrition booster you can add to their food as well. Hope this helps!!

Attachments

• 20210610_162303.jpg
    20210610_162303.jpg
    377.9 KB · Views: 16
  • 20210610_162256.jpg
    20210610_162256.jpg
    336.8 KB · Views: 17
My crossbeak, Herky Jerky, seems to be able to eat wet food best. She's the first one out when I give them table scraps. I'm not sure I'd she'll ever be able to eat Pellets so I'll probably keep the flock on crumble. I wet some of their food and take it out there as a treat and just to make sure she's eating well. I know there is a nutrition booster you can add to their food as well. Hope this helps!!
Thank you! We do crumble as well because of Snuggles and BB (broken beak) she broke her beak when she was about 6 weeks old. They both tend to eat when other chickens are elsewhere. I will look into the booster for her. I also thought about soft treats for her like natural applesauce or yogurt. I will have to try that next time I bring her inside for a clean up. Her feathers around her face and crest aren’t as nice or thick as her sister’s. They are more sparse and limp

@Wyorp Rock Thank you for the tag. Just seeing it now - was on vacation in New Orleans. Got home this evening.

BATHING/GROOMING:
Some people use warm water only to bathe their CBs because it's more natural and less likely to damage the feathers. Others, like myself, use J & J baby shampoo/body wash. I haven't seen any damage to his feathers, but it's all personal preference. My CB gets weekly baths and groomed daily.

To get the food crusties out, I use either a flea comb to brush them out, if still fresh. If dried on, I use a tooth brush and warm water. It's slower, but just as effective as the flea comb.

This also relates to feather quality. Regular bathing/grooming can prevent feather damage caused by dried mash.

What feed are Snuggles and her siblings on? Higher protein feeds can help with feather quality. I use Nutrena Feather Fixer during molting season and as needed.

WEIGHT:
Unless you tube or torpedo feed Snuggles, she will always be smaller than her sisters. As long as she is getting food into her crop, you don't have to stress too much. Check her crop after she eats. It should feel heavy. If it's light, like a balloon, you'll have to make some adjustments to the mash and the setup.

That said, there are supplements and special foods you can give your girl to help boost her weight. I regularly feed Harrison's Recovery Formula and Avian Health Shake.

I think that covers it. Feel free to contact me if you need.help.with your CB or just want to gush about how awesome they are.

@Wyorp Rock Thank you for the tag. Just seeing it now - was on vacation in New Orleans. Got home this evening.

BATHING/GROOMING:
Some people use warm water only to bathe their CBs because it's more natural and less likely to damage the feathers. Others, like myself, use J & J baby shampoo/body wash. I haven't seen any damage to his feathers, but it's all personal preference. My CB gets weekly baths and groomed daily.

To get the food crusties out, I use either a flea comb to brush them out, if still fresh. If dried on, I use a tooth brush and warm water. It's slower, but just as effective as the flea comb.

This also relates to feather quality. Regular bathing/grooming can prevent feather damage caused by dried mash.

What feed are Snuggles and her siblings on? Higher protein feeds can help with feather quality. I use Nutrena Feather Fixer during molting season and as needed.

WEIGHT:
Unless you tube or torpedo feed Snuggles, she will always be smaller than her sisters. As long as she is getting food into her crop, you don't have to stress too much. Check her crop after she eats. It should feel heavy. If it's light, like a balloon, you'll have to make some adjustments to the mash and the setup.

That said, there are supplements and special foods you can give your girl to help boost her weight. I regularly feed Harrison's Recovery Formula and Avian Health Shake.

I think that covers it. Feel free to contact me if you need.help.with your CB or just want to gush about how awesome they are.
Thank you so much! That is super helpful and I already have J & J baby shampoo so that's even better. We use a 16% protein crumble feed mixed with scratch and oyster shell. I will have to try the toothbrush on her dirty little feathers. She looks so sad compared to her sisters impressive crest. Like Pig-Pen from Peanuts. lol I haven't been able to give her as much attention as I would like here lately. I have had my hands full treating one of my hens for really bad bumble foot. I feel like I am not really getting anywhere but I will keep at it in hopes her foot heals.

Back
Top Bottom