Sdwd

Speckledhen: so sorry to hear about your girls..I know you gave them everything, and they had a wonderful life with you. Still, its hard to lose them.
sad.png
hugs.gif

Well, as expected Reject Ranch has another long term resident. My little delaware/rock girl that I got from Scott.....she has always been a runt. And still is. Looks like a 4 month old pullet! Not even sure how old she is now...8 months? a year? Anyways, I think she has a slipped tendon? Or whatever it is everyone talks about.....she limps badly on one leg....and it kind of slips to the side when she walks on it. She is happy though.....I need to make a special needs chicken area. This big hill is really hard on her to get up and down. Maybe I should put her in the mottled cochin pen?

Bottom left here
2011-03-25_08-03-25_702.jpg

Top middle here
2011-03-18_08-05-46_647.jpg

As long as she can hobble around and enjoy herself she can stay here. I do think i need to get her into a smaller pen as I live on a big steep hill and its a bit much for her.

So, between her, my half blind chicken, kathy's cross beak pullet......Reject Ranch!

Scott travel safely and consider the prayers done. I know that feeling of not knowing where your child is and the gut wrenching pain it brings, I went through it with Cheyenne for 2 weeks when she was 2 year old. There are no words to describe it.
hugs.gif

Cyn, I am so sorry about Reba and Lexie. I know Lexis misses Ivy, they were so close. I am still stunned about Reba because she has been the icon of healthy and vigorous. If they must pass from this world then I truly hope it is soon and quickly.

I am sorry I have not been online much but the horrible storms we have been having have made it impossible to get online via the satellite internet. Also, as most of you know, I have been spending a great deal of time with Sarah (scbatz33) who is currently vehicleless. So I have been making sure she gets to work and home plus getting any errands that she needs. Today was horrible because the creek had flooded our main road on both ends and I could not get out to get to her but have on fear I shall be there tomorrow so we can get her errands ran before she goes to work tomorrow night.

All I can say is..whoever ordered the rain..cancel the danged order NOW. My ducks were swimming in my front yard today and in spots they were able to dive! My coop is a mess because the birds just drag wet in with them. ack!

Quote:
I did cull my slipped tendon Jersey Giant cockerel chick. I am keeping the cross beak Ameraucana pullet for you! I don't know how you folks do it .... taking care of disabled chickens and animals. I just can't do it. I guess I am rather heartless and cold.
hu.gif

Quote:
I think it would be more accurate to say that you have the courage to do what you know is best for the animal in question Kathy. It takes a great deal of compassion to euthanize any animal, let alone one you know and love well. Most of us can't do it, so we take the easier way out and try to make them as comfortable as we possibly can, all the while, assuaging our conscience by telling ourselves that they're happy. When the truth of the matter is that if we really had the guts, and we really wanted to do what was best for the poor little beastie, we'd euthanize them and make it as quick and painless as possible. Human nature being what it is [of which I am by no means exempt. I'm a supreme wimp!] we try our darnedest to keep them going, even when nature is screaming at us to let them go.

No my dear, you aren't heartless or cold. You simply understand and can accept that sometimes, it's the only answer to a suffering animals prayer. For that, I envy you.
hugs.gif

Cyn very sad to hear about your loss! It is not hard and alot wouldnt understand say ing they are just chickens - but they are in our hearts .

Scott - prayers being sent!

Sure hope they find those cute girls quickly.

Lexie will be passing on today. Her crop has quit working and she's having trouble getting oxygen, very dark in her comb/wattles. Her abdomen is so hard, I'm sure what's in there, but I want to see. I've never opened up a hen who hasn't laid in this long. When Ginger died, she had not laid in 14 months, but I didn't insist we cut her open to see.

We may try to drain Reba today. Her abdomen is fluidy, not hard like Lexie's. Maybe that will take some pressure off the nerves and let her walk better, if that's what's wrong. Just a hunch.

Tom said having our originals was like going to an amusement park with friends. First you go because of the amusement park, then you start really liking the friends and go with them everywhere, then when you lose the friends, you don't care about the amusement park anymore.
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom