Seeking Advice- Moving a Raised Coop

EMMYTR0N

Chirping
Jan 6, 2019
Hello all! We are hoping to move our coop across the yard, about a 40 ft. distance. Unfortunately we don't have access to any machinery to assist us. It's 4'x6' and I'm guessing it weighs around 600lb. Does anyone have any experience/advice for moving a raised coop? I have attached a photo of our coop for reference! Thank you!
53258164_248768222564647_4348554301577101312_n.jpg

Nice coop! What do you have that you can use to move it? Do you have a small flatbed trailer? That would work nicely. Or you can rent one. Use a quad or truck to pull it to it's desired location once on the trailer. Or you can use manpower only. Use logs to roll it to where you want it. Or create a 4 wheeled dolly. That would be hard but would work. Good Luck! :hugs

Hello EMMYTRON.
Welcome to BYC.
As it happens I do have some experience in moving coops.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/shadrach’s-multi-coops.74344/
The largest coop in the article isn't far off that weight and 4 men, one at each corner is best. particularly over uneven ground.
The other option is to put planks down under each leg and drag it bit by bit.

Nice coop! What do you have that you can use to move it? Do you have a small flatbed trailer? That would work nicely. Or you can rent one. Use a quad or truck to pull it to it's desired location once on the trailer. Or you can use manpower only. Use logs to roll it to where you want it. Or create a 4 wheeled dolly. That would be hard but would work. Good Luck! :hugs

I'd love to be able to roll it on pipes/logs, but not sure how to do that with the 5 legs on it. Thank you for your reply!

Thank you! I had a lot of fun designing it. It's my first building project and I've learned quite a bit (except how decide on yard placement, apparently!) LOL!
The advantage ime of a coop like that is exactly that it can be moved. I move the coops around here fairly regularly as it gives the ground a rest which does get mucky despite the chickens free ranging.

Can you fit enough people around it? I'd imagine 8 people or so could move it. Recruit your neighbors with beer or pizza, maybe?

I'd imagine we could fit 6-8 people around it, but unfortunately everyone around is far too elderly to help out and we don't know too many people here. :barnie Ideally I'd be able to move it with 2-3 people, some sort of sled built from planks, and some help from our AWD SUV. Any thoughts on that? LOL!

Back
Top Bottom