Seeking Dog Advise

For what its worth, I love the big molosser breeds as well. I will always love Rottweilers, for me one of the best breeds out there and will always have a spot in my heart. Bullmastiffs are also amazing and not prone to drooling as Mastiffs are. My big Boxer is also phenomenal, but having a brachycephalic face means drool and snoring lol. But he is awesome and for a 70lb dog leaps amazing heights and distances, and Boxers remain that way well into old age. German Boxers retain the broad work dog shape that has been bred out of American and British lines. Lol I can go on and on, Cane Corsos and Boerbels are certainly on my breed to get list.
I like many of the same breeds, but I think every one of those mentioned are on the tough insure list. Sad - because it's rarely the dog's fault.

As a heads up, Farmers will give personal liability insurance to any dog breed for up to one bite in which the dog was unprovoked. (If the dog bites someone who is robbing you for example or someone who was hitting them it's considered provoked. Basically if you can prove the bite was justified in a civil court it doesn't count.) After one unprovoked bite they withdraw the ability to insure THAT dog, but any other dogs are still covered. One of the few reasons I'd suggest a specific insurance company to someone.
(Or at least they did last I checked...)

Last edited:
I would consider akbash and maremma too. Both just harder to find in the northeast.
If you are not interested in showing or breeding, relax on purity, and get a cross. You are using the dog as a pet as much as a guardian so ability to stay out with a free-ranging herd or flock is not what you are shooting for. Chicken people need not get hung up on breeder rep that only increases price without providing benefits. Only people that really benefit from that arrangement are the breeders.

I agree that breed specific insurance issues aren't the best thing, but insurance companies are all about managing risk, risk avoidance, and statistics. Horrible individuals exist in every breed, and nice guys, and selecting for the one you want to live with matters.
There is, on record, a case of a 'weiner dog' killing a person, and I've met one who tried, launching himself at the owner's neck from the bed. That particular dog finally met his end over that episode, but that's what it took...
Sorry for the hijack!
Mary

If you are not interested in showing or breeding, relax on purity, and get a cross. You are using the dog as a pet as much as a guardian so ability to stay out with a free-ranging herd or flock is not what you are shooting for. Chicken people need not get hung up on breeder rep that only increases price without providing benefits. Only people that really benefit from that arrangement are the breeders.
My last guys were crosses and great dog that I got at 8 weeks and I'd consider it again. But I really want pups or very young. Just easier to train - my kids all have rescues and every one of their dogs had some issues that needed to be addressed - socialization, anxiety etc before solid training can advance. I'm not saying it can't work - just something I'd prefer not to deal with.

I agree that breed specific insurance issues aren't the best thing, but insurance companies are all about managing risk, risk avoidance, and statistics. Horrible individuals exist in every breed, and nice guys, and selecting for the one you want to live with matters.
There is, on record, a case of a 'weiner dog' killing a person, and I've met one who tried, launching himself at the owner's neck from the bed. That particular dog finally met his end over that episode, but that's what it took...
Sorry for the hijack!
Mary
That's a horrible story, and I feel guilty that I laughed when thinking about it.

Puppies can be a pain to raise, especially in winter weather, but it's true that rescues all arrive with issues that must be addressed. Some are easy, and some much more difficult.
After having four rescues in a row, my next might be a puppy, but we'll see.
Mary

Back
Top Bottom