September 2015 Hatch-A-long!!

My lonely baby is getting the hang of those legs, so brought him/her out to the fall
decorations. It's so sweet, it thinks I'm mom. Getting a friend for it in the morning.
An Australorp. Hope it's a girl, the guy isn't sure. :)

Happy Fall everyone! Hope those that are getting ridiculous heat like us right now, will
cool down. We are supposed to by Mon. Will feel more like our Septembers.

My lonely baby is getting the hang of those legs, so brought him/her out to the fall
decorations. It's so sweet, it thinks I'm mom. Getting a friend for it in the morning.
An Australorp. Hope it's a girl, the guy isn't sure. :)

Happy Fall everyone! Hope those that are getting ridiculous heat like us right now, will
cool down. We are supposed to by Mon. Will feel more like our Septembers.

So cute!

This has got to be the oddest hatch ever....Well, my eggs were due tomorrow. They were the eggs we found from my blue isbar hen, Blue. She had two mates, Will Wheaton and Dan, who both were killed by the neighbors dog in the last couple weeks. We found her stash on the 21st of 10 eggs and threw them in the incubator.

I was so tied up with the neighbor's dog killing my other rooster Tuesday that I forgot to lock them down...

I went up to the farmhouse in the early am Wed and i hear cheeping...UHM...8 out of 10 of the eggs had hatched. All the chicks were in the bottom of my cabinet incubator. They had hatched in the turners and fell through the shelves below to the floor of the cabinet. I never have eggs hatch that early...

All of the chicks are happy little chicks...their legs seem fine and I don't forsee any issues. The other eggs were pipped when I repositioned them out of the turners and they hatched out yesterday as well. 10/10.

I feel so blessed that the little isbars are ok. Hatching in turners every 90 minutes, 50% humidity and a cooling cycle of 90 minutes every day....and then the fall.

I have hatched so many shipped eggs with heartbreak. So happy that hatching my own has been positive. Svart Hona's are due next.These will be our first chicks from our newly laying flock. Exciting!
I just read an article from 1927 on poultry management...fertile hatching eggs can begin developing in temperatures
above 68 degrees!
ep.gif

Quote: somewhere on byc is a video of two chicks hatching from a double yolk egg.

I just read an article from 1927 on poultry management...fertile hatching eggs can begin developing in temperatures
above 68 degrees!
ep.gif

somewhere on byc is a video of two chicks hatching from a double yolk egg.
I believe that...I should put a couple of my double yolkers in the incubator to see...

Here is the you tube video about it...it was 2008!

Notice as she assists that there are no visible blood vessels on the inner membrane and that both chicks are ready to hatch.
I think I would have used tweezers instead of a knife....just saying.

Never begin to assist if there are visible blood vessels. Use a Q-tip to apply water to the membrane. Even a few drops of blood lost can cause a chick to die.
you can cover with a damp layer of tissue paper to keep the membrane moist until the chick is ready.

Last edited:
Note: this is not my picture it belongs to the people selling on craigslist. Anyone have any ideas on breeds? Which ones should I pick? They're from Murray McMurray. They could be heavy, light, or rare and unusual breeds
http://images.craigslist.org/00I0I_fbEcSxpXpH5_600x450.jpg

They are so cute!

I'm guessing there are Easter Eggers in the mix, a Barred Rock (or perhaps a maran), and some Silver-laced Wyandottes. The white ones may be White Wyandottes or White Rocks or something like that.

Back
Top Bottom