SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
I really need this hatch to hatch atleast 25 as I have orders to fill, and I need 30 chicks altogether. I have 5 in the brooder, but I need 25 more, and that is minus the OEGBs. I rly dont think im gonna even get close to 25 tbh. I have just never had very good luck with hatching, but who knows, theres a first time for everything.

I am learning as I go. Reading and researching prior to each step/phase. My batch will go on lockdown tonight. Last night I candled to check air cells. I believe I see movement with the air cell of 3 of my 24. 2 others are most surely no longer viable. Should I remove or wait and see? Before I see external pips, I would like to know 2 things...
Is newspaper safe to line the bator with? I have heard both newspaper and paper towel but the ink is ok? Also, at what point is it necessary post hatch to move chicks to the brooder if others are still hatching? 24 hours? 48?

I AM GETTING EXCITED!!

Haha, If the eggs in question do not stink and arent leaking, then I would just leave them in there. Yes, newspaper would be fine to use as a liner. When to take the chicks out is all dependent upon when they all finish hatching. But you shouldnt leave any chicks in there 3 days after hatch. They can survive without feed for 3 days when they hatch, but thats it. These are you buff orpington eggs, correct?

They can survive without feed for 3 days when they hatch, but thats it. These are you buff orpington eggs, correct?
Ok I have heard that but leaving them just seems nerve wracking lol. Nope these are a mix of crosses from my now disposed of black asian TSC mistake rooand my hen of the same mistake as well as light brahmas and RIRs. All production birds.

Ok I have heard that but leaving them just seems nerve wracking lol. Nope these are a mix of crosses from my now disposed of black asian TSC mistake rooand my hen of the same mistake as well as light brahmas and RIRs. All production birds.
Gotcha, nah, its perfectly fine to leave em in there. They will chirp and play soccer with the other eggs which kinda wakes em up and does help them to start hatching.

I use the rubber type shelf liner in my Hatcher, a piece of advice I received from a thread here but I feel it works well, gives the babies a nice grip and makes cleanup easier without holding moisture around the eggs. Sometimes I will use paper towels over shavings in the brooder for new hatchers so they dont try to eat shavings.

I will definitely use the shelf liner next time. Crossed my mind but no one had suggested it yet lol.
So excited to see several very wobbly eggies! One in particular is my bet for first pip. Going to be gone a lot of the early part of today so maybe some more excitement when I return!

If anyone has a styrofoam type incubator, this is how I set up mine. I no longer use the water jar (shown) but the sponges, aquarium tubing, & syringes -I use on lockdown so I dont have to open the incubator.
There is also aquarium tubing threaded through the side underneath the wire floor that runs into the water chambers. The center chamber have little holes cut out so the water can flow from the first chamber into the others. I clamp off the tubing with a hemostat between the incubator and syringe so when I attatch the 50ml syringe (found at Tractor Supply) the water doesnt run back out when I remove the syringe to refill it.
Adding water can be a PIA in these type incubators and it has helped alot.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/gallery/albums/incubation.6319481/

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom