SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
I have 1 Serama egg that will likely hatch today or tomorrow, assuming it’s still alive. I did not see movement at the beginning of the week, and someone else put it into lockdown for me yesterday. I don’t know if it is this incubator, or this line of Serama, but I’m starting to get really frustrated. I had such an easy time hatching Serama from 2 other breeders, but it was a different incubator too.:he

I have 5 or 6 Silkies in lockdown as well that *should* hatch by Saturday.

As controversial as it is.... the best hatch I’ve had so far with this incubator was the one that I hatched upright in cartons!!! :barnie
Sorry to hear about the frustrating hatch, Rockporters!!! Best of luck with the Serama and the silkies!!!:fl

The bf made me promise to have all the birds out of the garage brooders by 12/1. So, I have 6+ more Silkie eggs on the way. I’ll sell most, so that I am not totally ignoring our agreement, but one or two might not sell... who knows why no one wants them!?:confused: :lau
:gigI still have 13 guinea keets in the garage! They have so totally outgrown their brooder! They can’t stand up all of the way! They were supposed to go into the chicken tractor, but apparently we aren’t eating all of the cockerels so the tractors occupied... :thSo, I’m frantically trying to finish the new guinea coop so the keets can go out this weekend. Taking the day off from work to work on their coop...

Attachments

• DADCCB45-8DFA-440D-BEAB-0B4478346BC0.jpeg
    DADCCB45-8DFA-440D-BEAB-0B4478346BC0.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 8
:gigI still have 13 guinea keets in the garage! They have so totally outgrown their brooder! They can’t stand up all of the way! They were supposed to go into the chicken tractor, but apparently we aren’t eating all of the cockerels so the tractors occupied... :thSo, I’m frantically trying to finish the new guinea coop so the keets can go out this weekend. Taking the day off from work to work on their coop...
I totally understand, my "last" growout house is in progress but not fast enough
20190904_192618.jpg
still much to do before the inhabitants can move in

I totally understand, my "last" growout house is in progress but not fast enoughView attachment 1899148 still much to do before the inhabitants can move in
Wow, that’s gorgeous!!! I love tin! I want to put it over the guineas coop but for the sake of expediency, I’m putting a tarp up for now. Does a tin sided coop like that get very hot? I’ve used white metal roofing so far because I was told that heat transmits through silver tin?

Question - my humidity calculator keeps telling me I need to decrease the humidity in the incubator, as the eggs are not losing enough weight. I am now at room % - 28% and I cannot get it lower. There is absolutely no water in the incubator. I think this won't be an issue as I have hatched before with higher humidity (did not know about the Excel calculator), what do you think?
I have locked down eggs in the other incubator at 73% humidity..

I have two pips! I'm so delighted the dark egg pipped. It has a terrible aircell coming down 3 sides and lost over 20% it's weight. Hopefully by the end of the day I'll have a 3rd pip and some chicks!I also realized I forgot to put down the shelf liner.

View attachment 1899167
I have never seen such an egg holder.. what is it made of and does it make any difference? My eggs are just laying flat on the net at the bottom of the incubator, but if the holder is important I'll experiment with the next batch. Are these Marans? And how do you get 3 pips out of 2 eggs or I cannot see the 3rd egg?

I have never seen such an egg holder.. what is it made of and does it make any difference? My eggs are just laying flat on the net at the bottom of the incubator, but if the holder is important I'll experiment with the next batch. Are these Marans? And how do you get 3 pips out of 2 eggs or I cannot see the 3rd egg?

It's just a cut down cardboard egg carton. Nothing fancy. I prefer to hatch shipped eggs upright. It won't save a doomed hatch ( bad humidity or temp) but it does seem to give an edge to iffy eggs like this one. I have less DIS when hatching this way. Everyone does it a little different. Cutting out the bottom give more airflow and a bit more play in the carton. The eggs can still wiggle and shift slightly as needed.

Yes, Black Copper Marans eggs. One isn't pictured. It's in the same position as the dark one on the opposite side. It was rocking yesterday so I'm hopeful :fl:jumpy

Edit: I should mention that I hatch upright because I incubate upright. If you incubate on their sides hatching that way makes sense too.

Last edited:

Your run and coop look amazing!! What a pretty setting as well.

I'm right there with you. I have 2 older Silkies in a large dog cage turned brooder, 15 rare breeds in a large and a small brooder, and 6 Silkie babies (and more on the way) in a small brooder. :thI did get one of the coops we bought cleaned out and put into use for the Serama and 4 large breed chicks. I still have 2.5 coops sitting waiting for me to clean them out, disinfect, and fix them up for our grow outs and Silkies. The 5 rare breeds in the small cage are out of room. Guess I know how I'm spending the weekend!

Hope you make lots of progress today!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom