SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
Day 21, no pips yet. No chirping or rocking. At least 2 Serama were alive at lockdown. Unfortunately, I don’t think we will see anything from these eggs. I’ll give them a while longer, but there isn’t much likelihood of chicks at this point.
Oh no! I hope you get some hatching!!!!:fl

Day 21, no pips yet. No chirping or rocking. At least 2 Serama were alive at lockdown. Unfortunately, I don’t think we will see anything from these eggs. I’ll give them a while longer, but there isn’t much likelihood of chicks at this point.
patience is a virtue in incubator hatching, sometimes if there was a discrepancy in temps they run a day or 2 late, 21 days is an average.

How are you monitoring temp and humidity? I got by what the incubator says but sometimes I have to adjust as I check daily also with an independent reliable probe and a couple of time had to go up or down especially during lock down says one temp but it is higher than what the incubator probe says.

patience is a virtue in incubator hatching, sometimes if there was a discrepancy in temps they run a day or 2 late, 21 days is an average.

How are you monitoring temp and humidity? I got by what the incubator says but sometimes I have to adjust as I check daily also with an independent reliable probe and a couple of time had to go up or down especially during lock down says one temp but it is higher than what the incubator probe says.

They did spend a week and a half in the cabinet incubator, which it turns out isn’t consistent. They’ve been in the Brinsea since then, and it’s pretty spot on temp-wise. I monitor with 2-3 thermometers/hygrometers, a
people thermometer, and the incubator itself.

I’ll keep them in for a couple more days to see. But they are awful quiet and still compared to other Serama hatches. Fingers crossed that I’m wrong!

They did spend a week and a half in the cabinet incubator, which it turns out isn’t consistent. They’ve been in the Brinsea since then, and it’s pretty spot on temp-wise. I monitor with 2-3 thermometers/hygrometers, a
people thermometer, and the incubator itself.

I’ll keep them in for a couple more days to see. But they are awful quiet and still compared to other Serama hatches. Fingers crossed that I’m wrong!
personally I wouldn't use the cabinet one then if it's not consistent until you figure out how to make it consistent good luck and here's hoping they hatch, mine are in lock down since yesterday and maybe that's why my arm got hurt, worried as I forgot to candle before lock down.

**1 is a rockin in there and 2 look like they are stretching the egg shell, which is an odd sight

Hey guys,
Everybody's alive so far, but one of the eggs - an oblong shape - has a very large air cell compared to everyone else. Is this one doomed to be shrink wrapped? Outdoor humidity here is high - in the mid 70's and my broody has been managing the hatch so far. All the other eggs have roughly the same size air cell. Sorry, I haven't been measuring egg weight - just monitoring for growth and activity. Am I worrying for nothing or do I have a future problem on my hands?
We're on around day 16-17.

Hey guys,
Everybody's alive so far, but one of the eggs - an oblong shape - has a very large air cell compared to everyone else. Is this one doomed to be shrink wrapped? Outdoor humidity here is high - in the mid 70's and my broody has been managing the hatch so far. All the other eggs have roughly the same size air cell. Sorry, I haven't been measuring egg weight - just monitoring for growth and activity. Am I worrying for nothing or do I have a future problem on my hands?
We're on around day 16-17.
I'd let her handle it. We had an awful shrink wrap problem with our last incubator hatch (I ended up having to go out of town the last five days and left someone inexperienced in charge), but our most recent hatch with a broody went off perfectly, humidity-wise, even though that last egg was abandoned at day 18 by its first mom. Our new mom with three chicks actually hatched that last egg for us. Even though she was on and off a bit tending her other three chicks, that one stayed warm and moist enough to hatch ...and it was an OD, which are notoriously hard to hatch.

and day 20 heard the first peep and an external pip from the incubator, so here we go

I'm in trouble outta coffee lol, going to heat up the brooder

son went and got me some coffee, we have 2 external pips now talking to each other as they work on hatching, one was well below the line but seems to be doing find as was able to externally pip

Last edited:
well officially halfway through day 17.

So I weighed all the eggs and candled again

Removed 4 more due to deaths of embryo some time back it looks like.

I have dropped my temp from 100.0F to 99.5F and in the process of raising humidity to 70%. ( all according to note included with shipped eggs from farm )

I will remove the platen later on tonight

Now we wait. With fingers crossed that I at least get some to be able to breed my own eggs for hatching. Egg 23, which a few days ago thumped me with movement is strangely still, but the veins are still bright red at the edge that I can actually see through the shell.

This being at a High altitude looks like it sucks compared to being a few hundred feet above sea level. So much more fiddling to get things right

Back
Top Bottom