SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
Question, do you think this will work: I have eggs (A) that are supposed to go to Lockdown soon, but I also have eggs (B) that will be at day 10 then... so if I keep them all in the incubator and I remove eggs A from the turner and place them on the net of the incubator, increase the humidity to 60%, keep eggs B in the turners. As soon as eggs A hatch, I will reduce the humidity down to 30-40% again and will continue with hatching eggs B. Do you think this will work? Or I will kill eggs B?

Question, do you think this will work: I have eggs (A) that are supposed to go to Lockdown soon, but I also have eggs (B) that will be at day 10 then... so if I keep them all in the incubator and I remove eggs A from the turner and place them on the net of the incubator, increase the humidity to 60%, keep eggs B in the turners. As soon as eggs A hatch, I will reduce the humidity down to 30-40% again and will continue with hatching eggs B. Do you think this will work? Or I will kill eggs B?
It could work out as you described depending on the size of the air cell in the egg. I really have no idea so I will be paying attention to see how it works out for you. Usually people used dual incubators for staggered hatches, one incubator for the first 17 days and then an incubator for hatching.

@Compost King I have two incubators (both full) and I am currently doing a hatcher (myself) which I was planning to use, but I changed my mind and I don't want to test the hatcher with breeder chicken eggs. I'll be testing it with my quail eggs. That's why I will have to keep the chicken eggs all together in the same incubator.

Yes, possibly, but I suspect one of the other hens may have taken it. I have one who regularly lays soft or thin shelled eggs, and she is followed around by another (Isabella) who pounces on them if ever one's dropped outside the nesting box, and consumes it. I found eggshell outside not far from the coop yesterday pm, and assumed it was one of my soft/thin-shelled layer's, and the other(s) had eaten it. Since one had gone this morning, perhaps it was Isabella, because she laid in the next nest box, and may well have been there when the broody was off for her daily feed etc. But she has not taken a well formed egg before. I hope this one wasn't hatching :( - it would have to be 2 days early if that were the case. Anyway, I have now shut the rest out of the coop as the hatch has started. Would a broody eat a bad or dud one?

Yes, possibly, but I suspect one of the other hens may have taken it. I have one who regularly lays soft or thin shelled eggs, and she is followed around by another (Isabella) who pounces on them if ever one's dropped outside the nesting box, and consumes it. I found eggshell outside not far from the coop yesterday pm, and assumed it was one of my soft/thin-shelled layer's, and the other(s) had eaten it. Since one had gone this morning, perhaps it was Isabella, because she laid in the next nest box, and may well have been there when the broody was off for her daily feed etc. But she has not taken a well formed egg before. I hope this one wasn't hatching :( - it would have to be 2 days early if that were the case. Anyway, I have now shut the rest out of the coop as the hatch has started. Would a broody eat a bad or dud one?
I had a broody that would eat the chicks as soon as they started hatching.... she was an excellent incubator but not a good mom. Hopefully your hatch finishes better

Here is the first 4 that were being trouble makers in the incubator, 5th still hasn't completely seperatd from her shell so had to stay with the other 4 eggs still waiting to hatch.
70972947_409203579732155_7863353131994710016_n.jpg

that's awful... :hit This is Eve's second time, and she was a good mum first time out (terrible broody that time!). I'm just hoping Isabella is not turning into an egg eater :hmm; she is my best layer (and has never gone broody).
:fl
Here is the first 4 that were being trouble makers in the incubator, 5th still hasn't completely seperatd from her shell so had to stay with the other 4 eggs still waiting to hatch. View attachment 1911317
:love:caf

Back
Top Bottom