SEPTEMBER HATCH-A-LONG!!!

Pics
I hatched out 36 eggs, 2 died while pipping, 7 did not hatch... 2 I was certain were not going to hatch going into lock down but kept them anyways. I still have 5 in the incubator and leaving them there until I have time to clean the incubator just in case they still hatch. I already sold 9 dominiques and gave away 6 Ayam cemani Culls. Delivered them to the customer (regular customer 2 neighborhoods away so she gets free delivery) and I gave her some Dominique hatching eggs for her broody too. I have too many saved up for the incubator so I figured I would give her some. If she is already buying so much from me I figure anything I won't be using like excess hatching eggs can go away for free. It was my first time delivering to her and it was kinda cool to see that half her chickens were birds I either hatched, raised or gave to her as hatching eggs.

80% hatch rate, my highest ever. I am usually a 50% guy. Seems the less I worry about the less I do to screw it up and the better the hatch rate... that and using my own eggs instead of someone else tends to increase hatch rate

Last edited:
I hatched out 36 eggs, 2 died while pipping, 7 did not hatch... 2 I was certain were not going to hatch going into lock down but kept them anyways. I still have 5 in the incubator and leaving them there until I have time to clean the incubator just in case they still hatch. I already sold 9 dominiques and gave away 6 Ayam cemani Culls. Delivered them to the customer (regular customer 2 neighborhoods away so she gets free delivery) and I gave her some Dominique hatching eggs for her broody too. I have too many saved up for the incubator so I figured I would give her some. If she is already buying so much from me I figure anything I won't be using like excess hatching eggs can go away for free. It was my first time delivering to her and it was kinda cool to see that half her chickens were birds I either hatched, raised or gave to her as hatching eggs.

80% hatch rate, my highest ever. I am usually a 50% guy. Seems the less I worry about the less I do to screw it up and the better the hatch rate... that and using my own eggs instead of someone else tends to increase hatch rate

Nice! :celebrate:clap

My hen gave me a big surprise I noticed she was sitting on some eggs but never had this happen. So excited

Attachments

• 20190923_223607.jpg
    20190923_223607.jpg
    736.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 20190923_223636.jpg
    20190923_223636.jpg
    590 KB · Views: 8
Hatch Wrap up

everything is cleaned and sterilized for the next hatch, which by the time i get back from vacation will most likely be a November hatch date. But on to the eggs.

paid for 18 CCL eggs and received 24. all arrived in great condition and only one had a detached air cell. And truthfully not by much.

Rested eggs in carton, as shipped, for 24 hours per note included, but would have anyway :)

Placed eggs in Nurture Right 360 and started incubation and for the first 2 days, turned turner off by unplugging it from top. Humidity was pretty steady at 56 percent.

Since it only holds 22 eggs, i arranged the last two near the center on the spacers built into the platen and turned the eggs no less than 5 times a day.

Candled on day 7 and found 2 questionable ones but left in as their shells were hard to see through. (I since have bought a Brinsea Ovaview). Weight from start shows most lost 2 grams or about 3 percent of their weight. (Average)

Candles and weighed on day 14. 2 eggs removed, only one was one of the questionable ones. one had no development and the other a blood ring. the two eggs riding the platen moved into empty spaces. And the average weight loss was 10 percent.

On day 18 weighed one last time and removed 4 more eggs. another no development (this one was the detached air cell) and another blood ring. The last two had started but aborted.

Day 20, 5 fully hatched out. Welcome to the world future breeding colony. And sadly one did not make it. after 24 hours and the power going off over 3 counties for hours, mine for an hour and a half, it got stuck and gave up. Upon opening the shell this female never developed correctly.

Now onto day 23.

12 eggs left and nothing, no movement, no pips, just nothing.

Candled the eggs again and decided from what I was seeing with the new more powerful candling device they were no goes.

Removed them and took them outside and opened them one by one.

Of those 12, 2 were early quitters, but had opaque shells. So I was not really able to see inside. the last 10, looked like they up and died sometime in the last few days.

Conclusions

The eggs came from an area roughly 2400 feet above sea level.

Being at 5300 hundred feet above sea level, I do think it played a roll in the failures. I might not had as many if I did not fully load the incubator or if I supplemented the Oxygen. But mom developed a need for oxygen after her open heart surgery so she took priority on the equipment.

So between a power outage at a critical time and high altitude, I had a 22 percent hatch rate. which is an ouch moment, but I can't wait to be able to hatch my own eggs and not worry about one of those factors.

I am pretty sure I ended up with 3 males and 2 females. but one of the females is not as chipmunk marked as the other, but still looks like a chipmunk compared to the males.

By day 2 or 18 hours after birth they were voraciously eating and it might have to do with the Nutri-drench I added to their water for the first 24 hours. My last chicks at a day old were not as hungry. They get 16 hours of light and are more comfortable at the part of the brooder box that the temp probe states it is 88 degrees. the Australorps were more comfortable in the 95 degree range for almost 3 weeks. I'll try to grab a picture of them dropping to sleep. they are go go go and all of a sudden, they flatten out and look like roadkill as they sleep. very cute and funny. and in 20 some years, the first chicks i have noticed do this.

Today, even with spillage being put back onto their plate, at 3 days old they will be close to 3/4 pound of food. They are eating more than the 10 black Australorps did at this age. And after placing the screen back over the tote, acting like a hungry pack of Velociraptors attacking the food. It took the Australorps until 5 weeks before they started to act like a pack of raptors when I add greens to their pen.

Now I need to find a breeder of Bielefelder that has hatching eggs that is at a higher elevation than 735 feet above sea level. If I thought high altitude was a factor in this last hatch, well it definitely would be if I shipped in those eggs

Hatch Wrap up

everything is cleaned and sterilized for the next hatch, which by the time i get back from vacation will most likely be a November hatch date. But on to the eggs.

paid for 18 CCL eggs and received 24. all arrived in great condition and only one had a detached air cell. And truthfully not by much.

Rested eggs in carton, as shipped, for 24 hours per note included, but would have anyway :)

Placed eggs in Nurture Right 360 and started incubation and for the first 2 days, turned turner off by unplugging it from top. Humidity was pretty steady at 56 percent.

Since it only holds 22 eggs, i arranged the last two near the center on the spacers built into the platen and turned the eggs no less than 5 times a day.

Candled on day 7 and found 2 questionable ones but left in as their shells were hard to see through. (I since have bought a Brinsea Ovaview). Weight from start shows most lost 2 grams or about 3 percent of their weight. (Average)

Candles and weighed on day 14. 2 eggs removed, only one was one of the questionable ones. one had no development and the other a blood ring. the two eggs riding the platen moved into empty spaces. And the average weight loss was 10 percent.

On day 18 weighed one last time and removed 4 more eggs. another no development (this one was the detached air cell) and another blood ring. The last two had started but aborted.

Day 20, 5 fully hatched out. Welcome to the world future breeding colony. And sadly one did not make it. after 24 hours and the power going off over 3 counties for hours, mine for an hour and a half, it got stuck and gave up. Upon opening the shell this female never developed correctly.

Now onto day 23.

12 eggs left and nothing, no movement, no pips, just nothing.

Candled the eggs again and decided from what I was seeing with the new more powerful candling device they were no goes.

Removed them and took them outside and opened them one by one.

Of those 12, 2 were early quitters, but had opaque shells. So I was not really able to see inside. the last 10, looked like they up and died sometime in the last few days.

Conclusions

The eggs came from an area roughly 2400 feet above sea level.

Being at 5300 hundred feet above sea level, I do think it played a roll in the failures. I might not had as many if I did not fully load the incubator or if I supplemented the Oxygen. But mom developed a need for oxygen after her open heart surgery so she took priority on the equipment.

So between a power outage at a critical time and high altitude, I had a 22 percent hatch rate. which is an ouch moment, but I can't wait to be able to hatch my own eggs and not worry about one of those factors.

I am pretty sure I ended up with 3 males and 2 females. but one of the females is not as chipmunk marked as the other, but still looks like a chipmunk compared to the males.

By day 2 or 18 hours after birth they were voraciously eating and it might have to do with the Nutri-drench I added to their water for the first 24 hours. My last chicks at a day old were not as hungry. They get 16 hours of light and are more comfortable at the part of the brooder box that the temp probe states it is 88 degrees. the Australorps were more comfortable in the 95 degree range for almost 3 weeks. I'll try to grab a picture of them dropping to sleep. they are go go go and all of a sudden, they flatten out and look like roadkill as they sleep. very cute and funny. and in 20 some years, the first chicks i have noticed do this.

Today, even with spillage being put back onto their plate, at 3 days old they will be close to 3/4 pound of food. They are eating more than the 10 black Australorps did at this age. And after placing the screen back over the tote, acting like a hungry pack of Velociraptors attacking the food. It took the Australorps until 5 weeks before they started to act like a pack of raptors when I add greens to their pen.

Now I need to find a breeder of Bielefelder that has hatching eggs that is at a higher elevation than 735 feet above sea level. If I thought high altitude was a factor in this last hatch, well it definitely would be if I shipped in those eggs
I am at about 6000 feet above sea level. I have seen the same struggles with eggs coming from lower elevations. My best hatches came from my backyard. I have even picked up eggs local and struggled with hatch rates.
I just let my last bielfelder go this fall... I was not as impressed with the laying rate as I wanted to be. I have had better meat quality from my white Plymouth rock crosses and better egg numbers too.... I currently have a pair of juvenile ccl... I am hopeful but we will see how they do

Coming out from under the Brooder plate are 2 naked necks. These 2 little kiddies are culls because I am only keeping Recessive Whites. However they are 1/4 Red Ranger and the Naked Neck patriarch (father and grandfather) has a nice size frame so they will make a great addition to a dual purpose flock.
IMG_2920.JPG

--------------
the larger feathered chick is 3 weeks old now, and disabled. Leg is backwards at the hip but it manages to feed itself and drink water and move around. It flies more than it walks because it hops on one leg. The others are from this mornings hatch. Eating for the first time. A cemani and some Naked Necks. Still under the brooder plate my Rhode Island White x Red Rangers (just 2) my 1 Silver Leghorn, and some Silver Grey Dorkings as well as more Ayam Cemanis and Naked Necks. The Dominiques are all sold and I gave away all my Ayam Cemanis Culls to the lady who bought my Dominiques.
IMG_2922.JPG

-------------------
My Incubator is set again and I am moving over to Octobers hatch a long... 2019 is going so fast. I will be back with brooder pictures and to like peoples posts though. And maybe a comment or 2.

@Compost King I am currently on a holiday in Greece and I saw a Naked Neck hen for the first time ever. She was multicolour. The owner only had one hen, the roosters were not Naked Neck so I didn't buy eggs, but maaan they are ..ugly! Unless they produce more eggs than Leghorns why would you keep them? I know it is a personal preference:)

Back
Top Bottom