septra for injured pullet

Fermatamama

Hatching
5 Years
Jul 5, 2014
I have a pulled that has a significant injury to the back and top of her head from aggressive birds pecking her. Is septra safe to give her and, if so, what would the proper dosing schedule be?

Welcome to BYC. Septra is also called Bactrim or SMZ-TMP, and is used in chickens as a sulfa antibiotic to treat some diseases such as fowl cholera, coccidiosis, and coryza. Does your pullet have a wound infection? Have you clened it with Betadine or Hibiclens, and put some Neosporin or other plain antibiotic ointment on it? For a wound infection I would rather use amoxicillin or injectible Penicillin G. Can you post a picture or give more information? See post # 12 in this thread for bactrim/septra dosage: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/356425/my-babies-are-dying-bactrim-smz-tmp-dosing/10

Last edited:
Eggcessive, yes cleaned and then coated with plain TAO. I don't suspect infection yet, trying to prevent it. Will try to post a pic. Thanks for the link to the dosing info!

This was an hour ago. She's got a coating of triple antibiotic. No damage to her eyes, but it looks like she doesn't have any skin left on top or in the back of her head. She'll drink readily and is peeping when I lift her to hand-water. She's also opening her eyes every so often.

Oh, my she sure did get pecked. I hope she didn't suffer any brain damage. I had a couple of polish hens pecked on the head pretty bad, but never had the wounds on the back of the neck. Her skin should heal up in time over a month or so, as long as there is no infection. I'm glad she is drinking for you. I would give her some scrambled eggs, and put a little water in her feed to make it like oatmeal. Some probiotics or a little buttermilk on some bread crumbs would be good for her. It will take a few weeks for her feathers to start growing back in. Keep her inside until the wound heals so that she doesn't get flies laying eggs in the wound. I would bring in a buddy if possible to visit or keep her company in a separate cage.

Back
Top Bottom