Serama rooster doing ok in the NY cold...i think?

soler

Songster
7 Years
May 1, 2012
Long Island, NY
OK, so the serama chick was a "present" from the local chicken guy, and of course it turned out to be a rooster... though a very cute and silly one. I have been worried about him in the cold weather (we have been having dips to single digits here), and been ready to bring him inside in the garage. I also got him a tiny hen saver coat with fake fur on it just in case he looks cold... i know, nuts.

So far, he's been foraging with the others, acting completely normal, chasing girls of all sizes, singing it full blast, not puffing up etc, and sleeps wedged between the bigger girls (i don't have a heated coop, but i have a heated roost).

If he behaves normally, does it mean he's ok? how else can i tell?

The biggest thing I would watch for is frostbite, especially since Serema boys tend to have larger combs. If you start noticing spots on his comb that looks like bruising, thats usually an indication that frostbite is setting in (though a well aimed peck can look the same). A good coating of vaseline on the comb, wattles and legs will help prevent any problems. I'd think if he's acting normal, he probably is though ;)
Nikki

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom