Setting Feb 16, want to join in>Hatch-Along

maryhysong

Songster
7 Years
Aug 24, 2012
Claypool, Arizona
OK I wasn't going to hatch any more right now, just got the Dec babies all outside a couple weeks ago. BUT! I have a real meaner roo going to freezer camp this weekend and decided to go ahead and collect and hatch some eggs before I put the girls in with another roo.

So I'm setting eggs tomorrow; there should be 6 Welsh Harlequin duck and 8 or 10 Buff Orpingtons. Any one else setting eggs this week?

I started the evening of the 15th, but added some yesterday and today (hooray for staggered hatches... :p ). This is my second hatch and I'm going big! Have 48 eggs in there.

15 banty mixes from my flock, which will mostly be infertile because my silkie wasn't doing a very good job of mating, haha. (girls are silkies, d'anver, d'uccle, silkie/serma mix, and sultan)
13 bantam barred rocks
9 bantam BBS cochins
6 bantam polish
6 bantam sizzle suprises
5 Araucana for a local lady

Woot!

Last edited:
Im glad im not the only thats excited. I swear i came home from work today and tried listening through the incubators for peeping/ pecking with my stethoscope ! Im beginning to think i have ocd..obsessive chicken disorder:)

My 6 eggs are in lockdown as of this morning! I wasn't sure how to place the eggs so I just sort of rolled them around a little and let them settle. Is there a specific position I should have placed them in? Besides the obvious on their side? Will the chicks move around enough so the large part of the air sac is facing up? I know that once (or IF) one chick hatches the eggs tend to get jostled and rolled around so am I okay? I want to candle them so badly!!! AND I have to work all Friday and Saturday morning! I have tomorrow and thursday off. I am going to go crazy!

Woke up last night to the sounds and little feet running around the bator. 4 2nd gen ISA Browns running around this morning.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
One has a mohawk. My daughter is very excited.

Set some this morning
smile.png
Finally got them through the mail; 25 buckeyes, 15 new hampshire, a Faverolles and a Light sussex. 42 in all!
lol.png
The bator is stuffed! Fingers crossed, hopefully we get an alright hatch rate with the shipped biddies

I set some eggs this morning as well!

4 Blue copper marans
4 blue splash marans
3 blue orpington
1 lavendar oprington
3 blue silkies
3 red silkies
2 bantam barnevelders
4 belgian antwerp quail

Fingers crossed! They are all shipped so I hope they do okay!

Just set 48 eggs this morning! I haven't hatched any since last spring, so I am a bit out of practice. These are just mixed- the chickens are:light bramas. ee. buff orphentons. indian rivers. quail bantems. cochin. cinamons. rhoad islands. roos quail bantum silkys and americana . I bought them from a local lady that says eggs and said she had more eggs than she could sell! Paid $2 a dozen. She has 4 roosters with 30 hens so there is a pretty good chance of them being fertile. :) I haven't had any chickens on the place since September so I can't wait!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom