Setting humidity in incubator?

tbone303

In the Brooder
Aug 16, 2015
First time incubating and just getting used to my new Hova Bator 2362E, I got the temp at 100F, Humidity is at about 49% with the 1st water channel full. The incubator is currently empty with eggs in the mail. Manufacture's recommended humidity is 45-55% what would be the best humidity% in that range? or is tempature the most important and humidity can vary a little bit.

The manufacturer always recommends a higher humidity. But I have found in my experience setting the humidity that high has caused me to lose many chicks. I have had much better luck keeping my humidity between 30 and 35%. I do agree that temp is much more important than humidity. With the humidity you were able to make adjustments along the way based on what your air cells look like . If your air cells are too large then your humidity is too low. If your air cells are too small then your humidity is too high. Where you keep your humidity at will depend upon where you live and the humidity in your ambient air. Personally I would empty some of that water out and use a smaller channel to get a lower humidity level. Then on day seven take a look at your air cells and determine then if you need to raise or lower your humidity. A study temp of 100° which is what you said yours is Ayotte is perfect. Keep in mind when you add eggs your temperature will drop and May take several hours to level back out. During this time do not make any adjustments to temperature or humidity. Unless of course your temperature spikes really high. It generally takes 12 to 24 hours for your temperature to restabilize when you add cold eggs. Good luck.

Lots of good points in the previous post. Humidity is determined by air cell size. There is no way for anyone to give you a specific number unless they see your air cells. This is a great read for understanding humidity:
http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

Air cells should look like this...adjust humidity up or down to achieve proper growth. And calibrate your hygrometer!

Thanks for all the advice, and links. My incubator ran out of water on the 1st channel so I filled up the 3rd one, I actually tried the second channel at first it gave me a 42% humidity and the 1st channel gave 49%, so I hope the 3rd will give around the 35% range. I received my eggs today and they were quite dirty, I washed up the dirty ones and will go in the bator tomorrow after a 20hr settle down for the air sacks.

Thanks for all the advice, and links. My incubator ran out of water on the 1st channel so I filled up the 3rd one, I actually tried the second channel at first it gave me a 42% humidity and the 1st channel gave 49%, so I hope the 3rd will give around the 35% range. I received my eggs today and they were quite dirty, I washed up the dirty ones and will go in the bator tomorrow after a 20hr settle down for the air sacks.

Were they shipped to you? How did the air cells look?

I agree with Ruby and kuchchicks! But would like to ask... do you have another hygrometer in your incubator besides the one on the unit? I would highly recommend adding one, after testing it for accuracy! Best of luck with your hatch!

I agree with Ruby and kuchchicks! But would like to ask... do you have another hygrometer in your incubator besides the one on the unit? I would highly recommend adding one, after testing it for accuracy! Best of luck with your hatch!
The model hovabator mentioned in the OP does not have a built in hygrometer.

Were they shipped to you? How did the air cells look?
Yes they were it did not go in the air it got to me in a day by surface mail, was shipped from the same province about 4-5hrs away from me so it did not travel far. Was clearly marked on all sides with pictures and sentences saying to not allow to freeze or have in high heat and not to x-ray, with a chick and egg picture above the writing. I candled about half and did not see any rolling air sacs that rolled around the eggs onto the sides and stuff, like I saw on youtube videos, I did see a few air sacs that appear to roll but only at the big end, but I wasn't sure if it was just fluid in the air cell if that is possible? Some I couldn't see an air cell at all cause they were dark(Maran eggs, and blue eggs from legbars). 3 out of 36 were cracked 2 lightly and 1 was about 15% of the surface of the egg, I sealed 2 with elmers non toxic school glue and 1 with candle wax.

Back
Top Bottom